Does Weed Block Fabrick work? - MB has red CBM 8 bags for $10

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Well, my friend sent me to the new Market Basket today because they had Red Cedar Bark Mulch. 4 bags for $10 plus buy one get one free. That means 8 bags for $10. So I got 16 bags for $20 or $1.25 per bag. Not bad since Home Depot was at the other end of the parking lot was charging $3.48 per bag!
So 20 bags at Home not so cheap Depot for $69.60 ! ! !

Anyway, I did get the weed block fabric at HD 3'x50' for $9.95

So does this stuff work? I used 12 bags of mulch in the pic below around the 2 Lilac Bushes.
The Lilac bush on the right is Wine Red and the one on the left is the standard Purple color.

Attachments

• TRHLiliacMulch (1).jpg
    TRHLiliacMulch (1).jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 162
  • TRHLiliacMulch (2).jpg
    TRHLiliacMulch (2).jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 149
  • TRHLiliacMulch (3).jpg
    TRHLiliacMulch (3).jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 170
  • TRHLiliacMulch (4).jpg
    TRHLiliacMulch (4).jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 152
  • TRHLiliacMulch (5).jpg
    TRHLiliacMulch (5).jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 171
  • TRHLiliacMulch (6).jpg
    TRHLiliacMulch (6).jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 170
  • TRHLiliacMulch (7).jpg
    TRHLiliacMulch (7).jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 167
  • TRHLilacWeedBlock (1).jpg
    TRHLilacWeedBlock (1).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 157
  • TRHLilacWeedBlock (2).jpg
    TRHLilacWeedBlock (2).jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 152
The fabric works, but the mulch will be compost and a weed bed within a year or two. My wife didn't like the look of the landscape fabric and had to have the mulch. Now we have weeds and guess who has to deal with them? :mad:

So your saying the weeds will form above the fabric in the composted mulch?

If so the roots will not be deep and much easier to weed?

The bag states the Fabric will last 10 years?

Yep, the first year weeds weren't too bad. This year has been a total pita. And yes, some roots will penetrate right through the weed block. And ours is the heavy duty nursery material.

Yep, the first year weeds weren't too bad. This year has been a total pita. And yes, some roots will penetrate right through the weed block. And ours is the heavy duty nursery material.

Wow, Maybe two layers of weed block fabric would be better?

Too things. First the ground cloth comes in many grades. Some will last, some not. As for the mulch, it needs to br refreshed ever year. Most people rough up the old and top dress it with new. Second, I alway look for cedar mulch. Much slower to break down. I use it in my vegetable garden between rowers. Yes, weeds will grow on top. My high grade ground cover does not let roots get through. Weeds lift right out.
I wouldn't use that mulch near a house or wood stock aid fence. It easily catches fire! A cigarette tossed on mulch causes many ground fires every year.
I found that a muck rake, the one used to clean horse stables, is really good for reaching into mulch and spreading it about.

We use the fabric, but leave it exposed. It works well, but we replace it every year. As already said, weeds will grow in the mulch above the fabric, which is why we leave it exposed. It's not pretty, but it's effective. (We pin it down with plastic pegs, similar to tent pegs.)

Whatever fabric you use, eventually weeds will grow on top of it in the mulch. I've used it here and there and I'm not sure if I'll bother next time the opportunity comes up. Best use for it is in the bottom of my shed window boxes to keep the potting soil from washing through the drainage holes.

I also made a mound with additional top soil so the water would drain and run off. Maybe this will also help with less weeds?

I started using newspapers a couple pages thicks around some trees to see how that works.....

Jim

Newspapers will hold moisture and may help weeds to grow?

I started using newspapers a couple pages thicks around some trees to see how that works.....

Jim
be careful not to use the newsprint that has color. The black is ok as it most likely soy based. Clean seed frew straw on top of the newspaper is a common practice.

We just bought a house with lots of bark mulch landscaping. Looks like whoever designed the gardens simply used the plastic bag that the bark mulch came in as the ground cover. I haven't noticed any draining issues so far ....

If using the fabric, make sure you overlap the seams quite a bit and stake it down in some fashion.
We made a couple beds in the front yard and used the fabric with so so results. Still get weeds.

The fabric has been a flaming disaster for us -- weeds grow on top, and planting annuals through it is an annoyance.

Tore ours out a couple of weeks ago -- just going to use pre-emergent from now on.

Hello

Well the results are in. Only had the weed block for a month or so. This area has direct sun all day. The weeds are growing right thru the Fabric! The myth that weed block fabric prevents weeds is BUSTED!

FAILED

See pics below!

Attachments

• TRHWeedBlockFailure (1).jpg
    TRHWeedBlockFailure (1).jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 128
  • TRHWeedBlockFailure (2).jpg
    TRHWeedBlockFailure (2).jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 130
  • TRHWeedBlockFailure (3).jpg
    TRHWeedBlockFailure (3).jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 136