dollar bill test. Pass or fail?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdk84

Feb 23, 2011
New England
Last night had a good fire going with the stove top at about 685F. I have been noticing what looks like secondary flame from the lower left hand side of the door. After the stove cooled i whipped out the old dollar bill. everywhere seems very tight except where the handle and hinges are. The bill can be pulled out with not a whole lot (maybe a little resistance) where as the top and bottom you would rip the bill in half. Is there a way to adjust this? I havent done any searching on the site about this.

Most door handles can be adjusted (look at the latch on the inside for adjusting) but you may also have to replace the door gasket. If so, it is a very easy thing to do.

If you choose to replace the gasket be sure to replace with the correct type. There are high density gaskets and low density gaskets and if you use the wrong one you will have problems.

pen

pen said:
If you choose to replace the gasket be sure to replace with the correct type. There are high density gaskets and low density gaskets and if you use the wrong one you will have problems.

pen

Can you elaborate on the difference?

one is "squishier" than the other

pen

pen said:
one is "squishier" than the other

pen

Pen don't get so technical.

Density refers to the amount of give, or amount of compression that the gasket will allow. The higher density gives less where the lower density gives more.

Think of foam on a deck chair. A high density foam cushion when you sit on it you plunk you butt down and don't sink into the foam. A low density foam your butt will sink to the point where you may feel the rear end support system (bars or straps) of the chair.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.