domestic renewable energy plan: heat, electric and water

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylekyote

Sep 26, 2013
So my plans have evolved a bit with all the good input of you Veteran wood folk. Here it is:

I will not be buying an exterior burn furnace at this time. After running the numbers with my wife,

at the present and slightly inflated propane prices, it makes better sense to continue using my

existing newer propane gas boiler and solar thermal tank for my in floor heat. But when the gas

boiler needs replacing, or if the price of gas gets too high to stomach anymore, I will likely put a

Coal or Pellet furnace out in the yard, in a small shed, and try to put a holding tank in my basement

somewhere.

1. For my upstairs 1,200 SF, I have sold the old Vermont Castings "dragon" and will buy either a

Vogelzang Ponderosa or Englander NC-30 (whichever best price and can deliver ASAP).

2. For my downstairs 900 SF I am undecided, but leaning towards a Coal Stove or pellet stove. How

much is coal in Colorado? How long does it burn in comparison to wood cord and wood pellet?

One reason why I like the idea of coal is because it can also burn other stuff, from what I gather.

Right? But how flexible is it in desperate times? Can it burn old tires, plastic, etc? Can it burn

peat? Can it burn wood or other stuff cut to appropriate sizes? How is the coal fed...like a pellet

stove?

Another thing I like is how it stores better. It's more durable than pellets and doesn't rot like

wood, or get affected by wetness.

Does anyone have sugestions as to what coal stoves are good, and what I should expect to pay for a new

one?

3. After I get these in place and have basic heat in my home, I want to make a two-barrel wood stove

and have a plumber rig it with copper pipe to assist my solar thermal tube system and propane gas

boiler. presently, my propane water heater is only gas, so I'd like to rig it to be assisted by my

wood stoves. I will build a shed for the wood stove, and later when I upgrade it to a wood or coal

furnace or boiler, I will remove the barrel stove, or put it next to the barrel stove, and be good to

go.

4. After that, I want to build a Rocket Mass Heater on my open patio and vent heat from it into my

lower level of home via ductwork and a blower. Is this feasible? Not sure. I have to research it a

bit more. But having a warm bench on my patio to sit and wait for elk or deer to wander by seems like

a cool idea.

5. I am going to net meter my solar panels I have, possibly add a panel, and possibly add one or two

micro wind turbines. I am getting quotes from the local professionals on that stuff.

Questions:

1. I have an 8" vent pipe that goes straight up in my upstairs area, can I use that for anything, or

is the stove pipe diameter strictly adhered to by the manufacturer?

2. I have a 6" vent pipe in my lower floor, where the Scan 61 now sits. Can that pipe be used for a

coal or pellet stove?

you might want to break all those questions down to sperate threads, your first one about getting off of propain makes sense, I don't know anybody who heats with it and likes the cost. keep the propain heat as a back up and add pellet heat to it is my best idea, that way if you run out of pellets, go on vacation, etc. the propain keeps everything from freezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.