Done with Harman 300i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JayMcB

Dec 4, 2021
Massachusetts
I have a Harman 300i fireplace insert that is now 9 years old. When it works, the heat from it is nice, but I would qualify the blowers as LOUD at full speed.

Like clockwork, the blowers have failed every 2 seasons, significantly limiting heat output. They slow don, output is reduced, then just stop.

This year, when the sweep was vacuuming out the creosote from the sides of the refractory, his shopvac line hit it and the whole side of it caved in.

Then during disassembly to change *that* $500 part, the rear fire bricks cracked. Already replaced those twice too.

So my math says 600 for the rear bricks, plus 500 for new blowers, plus 500 for the fireback = I am *SO* done putting parts into this stove.

Can anyone provide a suggestion for a different insert that doesn't burn an extra $500-1000 a season in parts?

Records say I have spend more on parts than on the stove to start, and now they are starting to get more scarce.

I have a Harman 300i fireplace insert that is now 9 years old. When it works, the heat from it is nice, but I would qualify the blowers as LOUD at full speed.

Like clockwork, the blowers have failed every 2 seasons, significantly limiting heat output. They slow don, output is reduced, then just stop.

This year, when the sweep was vacuuming out the creosote from the sides of the refractory, his shopvac line hit it and the whole side of it caved in.

Then during disassembly to change *that* $500 part, the rear fire bricks cracked. Already replaced those twice too.

So my math says 600 for the rear bricks, plus 500 for new blowers, plus 500 for the fireback = I am *SO* done putting parts into this stove.

Can anyone provide a suggestion for a different insert that doesn't burn an extra $500-1000 a season in parts?

Records say I have spend more on parts than on the stove to start, and now they are starting to get more scarce.
Just about any insert on the market will be cheaper to operate than a Harman. The only ones on the market now that will take much to maintain are cat stoves which will need a new cat every 10000 to 15000 hours. But with that you get the benifit of lower turndown.

Reactions: JayMcB
Just about any insert on the market will be cheaper to operate than a Harman. The only ones on the market now that will take much to maintain are cat stoves which will need a new cat every 10000 to 15000 hours. But with that you get the benifit of lower turndown.
I'm 100% in agreement with ABH (anything but Harman).

If you've seen them in operation, anything more specific? Bigger is better, lots of sq feet and cathedral to heat.