Donor Installation Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corie

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
Camp Hill, PA
I went and scoped out the first of the next two donor installations. Definitely needs a full reline. Luckily Selkirk has once again volunteered to send me everything I need. They are unbelievable.

The only problem is, Tim said he can only get me one liner system. That means I have a conflict with the second installation. I haven't seen the chimney yet, so I don't know the condition or size of the liner, but I wanted to get some input and see what you guys thought I should do.

Should I direct connect it, if the chimney is 100% safe and meets cross-sectional area requirements?

Should I try to raise money to buy a full liner for it?

Or? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance gentlemen.

There are a million liner mfg's

Homesaver
Olympic
Duravent

Hit them all up and if half of them give you a liner kit that's muchos free installs for your program. Copperfield is who makes the Homesaver, I don't know who to talk to but it seems that a publicity type deal like this is right up Sooty Bob's alley. Hard saying though. Another thing is to hit up stove stores for scraps. many times I have 5+ feet left over from installs which can easily be coupled for other installs. Also try pipe distributors, many times they're more than willing to help, espicially if there's some publicity for their products.

Just my $0.02, Corie, so take it for what it's worth.

As far as the 1'st... If it definately needs a full reline - then that's where it should go. On the 2'nd - if it can be safely and correctly be done with a D-C, then I'd say do that, but if it does need a re-line.... at least we are out of the critical period for the need (other than your moving).... so there is still some time to either raise money for it, or see where the donations of the liner could come from.

You are doing well - try not to worry about getting everything done at once - it will get done somehow. I'm sure you will see to that, and I'm also sure there will be a lot of folks here who would help to get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.