Don't Build too Close to the River

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

qwee

Feeling the Heat
Jan 17, 2013
Idaho
Yellowstone flooding.

The Yellowstone north entry highway destruction along the Gardiner River is tragic. That is our normal way of entering the park. It's in really bad shape now. Parts are totally gone. A major bridge in a town north of the park also was wiped out by the flooding. :(

I'm assuming that this house was originally on solid ground, excavated by the river before the video started, and not built half hanging over the river? If so, that's tragic.

Then again, if not... what did the owners expect?

It is a tragedy. The river undermined large chunks of land as it rounded corners. Look at the second video to see the extent of damage to the highway. This highway is one of the gateways to hundreds of thousands of tourists visiting the park. Five families lived in this home. They barely had time to get possessions out. There is a go fund me to help them out.

The towns of Gardiner and Red Lodge got hit hard. Major infrastructure was taken out by the raging floodwaters including a critical bridge. They have no power or drinking water in areas. This was a thriving town set in a beautiful area. It will take a long time to recover.

Looking at Google maps the house was set back about 150' from the river up on the bank. This flooding was 2' over the previous record set in 1918! The flooding is now affecting towns hundreds of miles downstream.

Yellowstone.jpg

The aftermath of the flooding. Recovery will take a long time.

The problem with mountainous regions is that the only flat place to build is logically the river valleys which are nice and flat inevitably ancient floodplain. The common thought long ago was that with the right amount of engineering, rivers can be "tamed" they really cannot, they move, try to contain them in a flood and the velocity just defklects somewhere else. Add in a more energetic atmosphere due to global warming and solutions that used to work are not working anymore.

The aftermath of the flooding. Recovery will take a long time.
Definitely. But I had lunch today with a young business owner from Ukraine. All things in perspective...

It is not the distance FROM the river that counts, it is the distance ABOVE the river
True, though the problem is the narrow river canyon makes higher building sites and roads very challenging and expensive until the river reaches the more level ground. This flooding was 2 ft over the previous record set over a century ago. It was dirt roads and wagon paths back then. With lessons learned, distance and higher ground will be the rule I hope.