Don't really think it's necesary,BUT I'm doin it.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
On my original Blaze King Ultra install March of this year,the installer went with a five and a half vertical rise then with a 90 through the wall about 20 inches horizontal then straight up 10 feet. Four previous stoves functioned flawlessly with regard to drafting. The King however is a different animal and I felt that it struggled for air at times during this mild burn season,especially when temps and humidity rose.So after complaining he's agreed to replace the 90 with 2'45's for a reasonable price considering the cost of double wall black pipe.This will be done tomorrow when temps will drop to 25 degrees. Did I make the right call on this. The problem was not significant but everywhere you look the BK likes 2'45's instead of 1 90 for optimal draft even their video states it.Will I notice a difference or with temps dropping or will it have been in vain,as we all know colder temps mean better drafting. As far as the install it is done according to code on the exterior as far as heights and clearances are concerned,but considering my chimney height for a King just makes the minimum requirement I figured go for it.Any feedback much appreciated.

I replaced my 90° with 2 45°s & noticed a big difference.
I also sealed the pipe joints & now am able to burn at lower settings much better.
All in all I think you'll have a bit better draft. But if it worked well before, it should work better.
If you weren't having any draft or smoke issues, I think you'll have peace of mind.
Yea, different animal for sure, impressive though.

Many Happy, long burn times :)

Like Dave says, if nothing else you'll have the peace of mind that you've optimized things. No more "hmm, I wonder if two 45's would work better than that 90" every time you look at your stove.

From everything I've read, my bet is that you'll notice some improvement. I was really worried about getting adequate draw out of my new BK Princess install ten days ago - potentially making my $4K investment just a horrible piss in the wind. I went with the two 45's and double-wall stovepipe and couldn't be happier (and I only have about a foot of rise before the first 45 starts).

2 45s is the way to go. have no problems with my setup at all and works fine with low burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.