Don't think I got the right stuff from my fireplace shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason977

Oct 17, 2012
Just got back from the fireplace shop. I was running late, they had already closed when they got there, so I didn't do a good job of checking everything out before I left.

I'm installing a Lopi Revere insert into my existing ZC. First of all, they didn't include insulation for the flex liner, and insisted that it wasn't necessary.
Now I'm not sure about the liner I was sold either. I was charged $575 for 25' of this flex liner:

HOMEOWNERS CHOICE™ STAINLESS STEEL FLEX
HOMEOWNERS CHOICE™ is also the chimney professional’s choice for relining new or unlined masonry chimneys. This high quality “300 series” flexible stainless steel lining is heavy duty, yet light weight. Easier to install than many flex systems, this flexible liner is listed for use with gas, wood, and oil heating appliances. Make your choice the HOMEOWNERS CHOICE™ today!
Features:
  • HEAVY DUTY Light Weight
  • Corrosion Resistant “300 Series” Stainless Steel
  • Listed for Gas, Wood, and Oil Heating Appliances
  • Custom Ovalization Available
  • Listed to UL 1777 and ULC S-635
  • Lifetime Warranty
  • Listed to Zero-Clearance With Our 1/2" Blanket
  • Very Flexible
First of all, It clearly requires insulation when installed in ZC. Secondly, it doesn't specify what alloy stainless it is, which is dubious.

I'm wondering if I should return the liner I got and buy 316 stainless liner and an insulating kit from Woodland Direct shipped for $603

Any help would be appreciated.
Jason

The entire kit with free shipping for $535 does seem good, and made in USA. Possibly a better product than I got for more money.

I agree, I tried to support my mom& pop shop. I in fact called several in the area and bought from the most helpful/ knowledgeable one, but still don't think they knew as much as I have learned from reading these boards.

I'd call the manufacturer, and confirm that (as listed), the blanket is required. Then take that info back to the stove shop and tell them you've confirmed the blanket is indeed necessary. If it was to be included in the kit you purchased, and you did not receive it, then you did not receive the goods for which you paid. If they have a problem with that, return the whole rig.

Good call on calling the manufacturer.
I was already told by the salesman that insulation as not necessary, so no, it was not to be included. Seems like my options are either buy a insulation kit from them or somewhere else, or return the pipe and buy an entire kit online. They may want to charge me a restocking fee though...

Yea that is a high price. It is a few hundred dollars more that discount chimney direct who i purchased from for the same size. Theirs too are made in USA. Its a mom n pop business i beleive, there just 21st century and have a web site!!

I think "listed for gas, wood and oil appliances" indicates that it is 316 alloy...

Before I'd trust any opinion on whether the price is high or low, just be sure you're comparing apples to apples. The price may be higher than some liner of unknown length sold on ebay, but it is likely not the same thing, either. There is a very wide range of flex liner quality and pricing.

I just had liners installed in two chimneys last week, and paid an additional $350 to go with Duravent smoothwall flex, over the cost of the standard flex. I'm not saying this is your case, but someone not realizing what I got might look at the price I paid and claim I was over-paying.

In my limited research and experience, I consider DuraVent the standard to which I compare the rest. I've not heard anyone report being unsatisfied with them, and I've dealt with their tech support on the phone a few times, finding them very helpful.

I was able to get in touch with the liner manufacturer, although they weren't much help to be honest. First, he was able to tell me that it is, in fact, 316 stainless. So that's good.

As to whether a blanket was required, he indicated that the blanket is typically used in installations inside corrupted masonry chimneys where exposure to combustible structure may be present. I asked about the listing in the spec sheet that says "Listed to zero clearance with our 1/2" blanket" he says that is in reference to the above, where the liner with blanket can be installed with zero clearance to structure. Now as I type this, that seems doubtful... None the less, he did not feel that a blanket was necessary, but did not want to commit because he was unfamiliar with this type of installation (wood stove in existing ZC box).

Finally I called Lopi, but was not able to get in touch with any one, and they are supposed to call me back.

At this point, I feel like I likely overpaid for the liner, and may not have to add insulation. If that is the case, I will just install what I have. If I need another $250 worth of insulation on top of what I've already paid, I will consider my options.

Hmm... keep us posted. Maybe someone here with more ZC fireplace experience will chime in.

I think a blanket is always a good investment. Keeps your flue warm, reducing creosote build-up and eliminating draft problems in less than perfectly cold weather. Also, if you have wood touching the exterior of your masonry chimney, as was the case in my very old house, then a blanket may be required per code.

Still waiting for info from Lopi. In the mean time I went ahead and ran the lining down my existing chimney last night to mock up the lining-to-stove connection. It was very easy, and would certainly be more difficult with insulation. I'm glad I purchased the optional offset that moves the outlet rearward on the stove. There is not much room inside my ZC box (to say the least) and with the offset the liner will drop straight down.

My existing chimney is SS double wall pipe, 8" inside ~12", and perfectly functional. So now I essentially have triple wall pipe, except that the 6" liner isn't isolated from the 8", so it will transfer a fair bit of heat from contact. I'm mocking everything up now, still deciding whether to pull the liner and wrap it...

So the liner that was connected to your ZC fireplace is SS double wall with a thermal blanket between the walls? And you want to put a flex liner in that?

I may have used the wrong terminology. My existing chimney is double wall, but not insulated. I don't have any masonry "chimney" There is a large (maybe 2") gap between the inner and outer walls, kept separate by tabs that hold the inner liner centered.

My understanding is that I had to reline the existing chimney to provide correct draft for my new stove, and simply because it has a 6" connection, and I have an 8" pipe.

I apologize if my terminology is confusing, I'm not very familiar with fireplace & chimney systems, but I'm learning!

Now I understand....when in doubt, wrap it up! It's getting cold my brother and if "code" says you can put a flex pipe with in an air cooled pipe but not sure about wrapping it....wrap it and feel and be safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.