Don't you dare try to come in here.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Turkey1.jpg

Note the stacks in the background

Nice!

This bird is not afraid of that kitty one bit!!

Reactions: Gboutdoors
Had turkeys breaking windows. Talk about stupid as a stump. They were seeing their reflections

Reactions: Jazzberry
It's one thing when a turkey fights its reflection in your window...but when a rutting buck tries it, he can do a lot of damage. I think your bearded hen is just wanting to chat. ;)

It's one thing when a turkey fights its reflection in your window...but when a rutting buck tries it, he can do a lot of damage. I think your bearded hen is just wanting to chat. ;)
Bearded hen? I thought the beard meant it was a gobbler?

Bearded hen? I thought the beard meant it was a gobbler?
Bearded hens aren't very common, but they are around. I've seen several, and they've all been in areas where I've seen gobblers with multiple beards, so it's probably a genetic thing....I'm guessing, of course. Some studies say that 10-20% of wild turkey hens have beards. Hen beards can be long, but they're usually thin and wispy. They differ from deer oddities, such as antlered does, in that bearded hens are fully capable of breeding and raising young. When I'm hunting, I look for the beard first, and then I check the head color. If it's predominately blue, it's a hen.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Bearded hens aren't very common, but they are around. I've seen several, and they've all been in areas where I've seen gobblers with multiple beards, so it's probably a genetic thing....I'm guessing, of course. Some studies say that 10-20% of wild turkey hens have beards. Hen beards can be long, but they're usually thin and wispy. They differ from deer oddities, such as antlered does, in that bearded hens are fully capable of breeding and raising young. When I'm hunting, I look for the beard first, and then I check the head color. If it's predominately blue, it's a hen.
That is good information that I did not know. I've been assuming it was a gobbler b/c of the beard, as I believe PA hunting regulations specify a 3" beard required for spring harvest. I have noticed that there were no spurs and that there wasn't much wattle, nor much red on the head, and she's very docile. Mystery solved! Appreciate it.

That is good information that I did not know. I've been assuming it was a gobbler b/c of the beard, as I believe PA hunting regulations specify a 3" beard required for spring harvest. I have noticed that there were no spurs and that there wasn't much wattle, nor much red on the head, and she's very docile. Mystery solved! Appreciate it.
Yeah, a lot of states only require that a beard be visible, since it can be sometimes difficult to tell toms from hens.

Tom was here.................. See the tail only in number 4, lower left. Last shot was through the trees with a manual focus lens, flying down and away. The wild turkey is one of the most beautiful birds ever while in flight. And pretty good looking when fanning too.

Tom.jpg Tom-2.jpg Tom-3.jpg Tom-4.jpg Tom-5.jpg Tom-6.jpg

Reactions: Stinkpickle
Tom was here.................. See the tail only in number 4, lower left. Last shot was through the trees with a manual focus lens, flying down and away. The wild turkey is one of the most beautiful birds ever while in flight. And pretty good looking when fanning too.

View attachment 192645 View attachment 192646 View attachment 192647 View attachment 192648 View attachment 192649 View attachment 192650
What kind of turkey is that? Vary interesting coloration.

View attachment 192645 View attachment 192646 View attachment 192647 View attachment 192648 View attachment 192649 View attachment 192650
Nice! I'm guessing a 2 year old based on the shape of those spurs.

I would not bet on the cat in that fight.

We have lots of turkeys here, but they don't come that close to the house unless you bribe them. :)

I grew up seeing turkeys in the woods, and I somehow always thought they were at least mostly flightless.

Truth is that if pursued, they walk away at the slowest possible speed to keep their distance, then they run away, and if that's not working out, they hit the air. This is very impressive to see if you happen to believe that they don't fly. They can get into the air on a pretty short runway, too. I saw some get over a 6' fence from around 10' away, which is a pretty steep angle of attack for takeoff.

I see them in trees once in a while too, but they seem to spend all of the day on the ground. (I think they might go up there to sleep or to get away from something, but they don't seem to go back and forth casually like a small bird.)

Last edited:
Yes, they typically fly up to roost in trees every night. Unless escaping danger or crossing water, that's about the only time they'll fly. It can be dramatic if you're near them when they take to flight. I've stepped in brush trying to kick up quail only to have turkey flush from under my boot. Never do that with a full bladder. ;)

Reactions: D8Chumley
My lot is the only selective-logged area around. As a result, I have a lot of deer and turkeys around.

My driveway is the first open area in the spring. I was inside tapping away at the keyboard and I hear a ruckus outside. Dozens of turkeys in the driveway. I remember a time when turkeys were seldom seen and elusive in New England.

DSC02425.JPG DSC02423.JPG

Last edited:
My lot is the only selective-logged area around. As a result, I have a lot of deer and turkeys around.

My driveway is the first open area in the spring. I was inside tapping away at the keyboard and I here a ruckus outside. Dozens of turkeys in the driveway. I remember a time when turkeys were seldom seen and elusive in New England.

View attachment 192771 View attachment 192772
Your driveway looks like a prime turkey hunting spot. ;)

The first one would be easy…
IMG_0794.JPG

They like to peck at the windows here too. I've seen them jump and fly almost straight up to get to food. We have a bird feeder on a tall pole that has been no match for them.

20160123_082501.jpg