Door came off of Jotul 4B Combifire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chelseaanne44

Dec 28, 2022
Wisconsin
We recently scored this great wood stove but when opening the door, it came completely off. We’re having trouble getting the door back on and wondering if anyone has had the same problem and if so, how were you able to reattach? It is a Jotul 4B Omnifire. Thanks in advance!

Can you post some pics of the hinges?

0D492F6A-8B48-47A0-97ED-EE400E19AB93.jpeg 1E90F08D-7546-49F6-962B-8A438B25ACBB.jpeg

I believe that the door stows under the stove when open am I correct? It functions on a track and rollers system? Something like this?

View attachment 306438

Yes that’s right! We have no problem figuring out how it goes back on, but how to go about it. The spring shown on the bottom of the picture requires so much force to be pulled back and then to be inserted in the right spot. We’ve been able to get it back but either aren’t able to hold it back long enough or when we’ve found a tool to help pull back, it gets in the way of fitting it in there.

Try contacting Jotul for information on reassembly procedure perhaps? Or have chimney sweep repair it.
Are you trying to insert the door under the stove from the front of the stove Into the tracks ? Or from the rear of the stove. I’m not sure which way would work best.

Welcome to the forum! Other members and moderators will comment soon. @begreen , @bholler

Last edited:
Can you unbolt the door from the spring assembly, particularly or fully set the spring in the track and then bolt the door back on?? Just a thought

Reactions: 1kzwoman
This is a challenge. Moved to the classics forum where I believe this may have been previously discussed. As I recall, it's not an easy task. EatenByLimestone might have an idea. This is like installing an overhead door. Maybe locking the spring in place with vice grips?

It looks exactly like a garage door spring. Which means, for one thing that is considerable friction between the coils (if they are indeed actually touching each other). I have no idea how to hold that assembly straightened out (other than perhaps a simple bar or two -one on each side of the pivot rod cause you don't want to bend that- to lever it straight and then somehow securing the bar to the door while you get the rollers started in the tracks) but cleaning and then lubricating the spring surfaces liberally with something like wd40 certainly wouldn't hurt. It is a recommended maintenance on my shop overhead door springs. And it works there, making raising and lowering much easier.

perhaps my most difficult to read run-on sentences ever..sorry, lol 🥇

my main point is that there is likely a lot of friction in every pivot/sliding area of that door assembly.

Is that a three-legged stove? Cool.

yup, it is. I just googled it. What a neat stove!

Does the hinge assembly unbolt from the door? The diagram seems to look like it does. Could you unbolt the door, get the rollers in the track then bolt back on?

begreen’s locking pliers suggestion reminded me that my father “modified “ more than one set of these into a specialized tool for the task at hand. A welder can be used to attach a piece of bar, rod, washer or nut to the end or side of the standard jaws.

If you stacked wood blocks on the floor in front of the lip, and placed the first set of rollers in the track, could you use the wood as a fulcrum to bend the door back and slide the other set of rollers into the track?

I dont have much here. These stoves suck to work on, that mechinism is very very finiky. When people tell me its broke, I tell them time for a new stove. When its not broke I tell people to stop even storing the door under, just open it to load and leave the door like that if you want to fit the screen to it. This is the main fail point of these stoves.

Its most likely missing some small obscure piece thats supposed to hold that part together tighter, and they dont make any parts for these anymore.

This is very unlikely to be successful I'm sorry to say. The door hinge mechanism was always sold as a complete unit nevermeant to be serviced. It's been discontinued for a long te, I doubt Jotul will be any help at all, the stove is older than most people working there!

Every town has some sort of guy in a metal fab shop that if you tell him he probably can't fix something...he will be more than happy to prove you wrong. Just find that guy. It won't be cheap, custom stuff never is.

Reactions: 1kzwoman
Yes, I remember reading a posting about fixing one of these, but I have not been able to find it. It may not have been on Hearth.com.

Wow thank you so much everyone for your wonderful responses!!! They are so appreciated!! We will continue to play around with it and take it apart if we need to and hopefully get everything pieced together soon. I can’t thank you all enough for your ideas!

I have the same issue with my Jotul Combi-fire 1. The new hinge installed into the tracks fairly easily but now how do I get the door back on? Did you have any luck with this?