Door Fan Recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Can anyone recommend a door fan (mounts in corner of door frame)?
I'm looking for one that's not too noisy, and don't want to slap something together out of computer parts.

(Sorry for the double post in the Hearth forum)

Thanks.

The brand we sell here is called a Super Quiet Fan from sandhill whole sale

I have an EntreeAir model (one speed) and a MinuteMan (2 speed and comes with 2 brackets, so it can be used in 2 different locations).

I like the Minuteman much better.
1. It was cheaper
2. It has 2 speeds
3. It has 2 mounting brackets for 2 locations
4. It has better output and its quieter

If you spend a little more money. You can get a Tjernlund Aireshare (through the wall fan) and they are Super quiet and allow the door to be closed in the Winter (corner doorway fans need door opened all the time).

Hope this helps. I got the Minuteman from www.Northlineexpress.com

I ordered several of the Minuteman.
Alas, it's only 1 speed and I think 1 bracket.
If they work awesomely, I'll think about cutting holes in the walls.

I ordered several of the Minuteman.
Alas, it's only 1 speed and I think 1 bracket.
If they work awesomely, I'll think about cutting holes in the walls.
Mine has High and Low and also 2 brackets. (Will take a pic later, when I get home). The 2 speed design was the selling point. I used corner fans for several yrs now.

This past season, I installed through the wall fans. A Tjernlund Aireshare and some Broan #512's. The Broans are about as noisy as the corner fans, but its output is more than double them. That and the Broans were about $40. Only took about an hour to install (cutting hole, running power wire and switch).

Can I ask if the AireShare is quiet?
I can see an additional advantage of that approach in that it can be put right up near the ceiling, vs the door fan.

The EntreeAire units are not that loud on the inlet side, but fairly noisy on the outlet side. I think the plastic grate that surrounds it is the cause.

I'm contemplating taking mine apart this summer and cut a round hole the size of the fan blades on the outlet side and see what happens.....can't be any louder.:confused:

The Aireshare is 10x quieter than the EntreeAir and 5x quieter than the Minuteman. Plus the inlet and outlet can be put as High or as Low as you want. I put the inlet up high and the outlet about mid-level. It utilizes the wall studs as a channel for the air...

I highly recommend.

Searh Tjernlund Aireshare here (up top). Smoke Show started a thread. It shows both of our installs.

The Aireshare is a super product. Kinda spendy, but you get what you pay for.

It didn't work that great in my situation. Its a situation where the door has to stay closed, so I'm trying to move the cold air out and pull warm air in a vent.

I added a fan behind the vent also which definately improved the situation.

If the corner fans work out for you and you don't mind the look and noise, go with it.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/tjernlund-aireshare-room-to-room-fan.79113/

Also have mine wire to a thermostat so its fully automatic.

Here are a few pics.... (click on thumbnail to enlarge)
1. Shows the size comparison (Minuteman is smaller, but quieter, and better output)
2. Shows the High/Low on Minuteman
3. Shows bracket (there is one there and one on the basement door)
4. Shows the Broan #512 in my Sons room/wall.

The Aireshare I didnt add pics because of the Link provided by Smoke. I highly recommend the Tjernlund. Easy to install, SUPER QUIET, and very discrete looking (although pricey).

Attachments

• 2012-05-12_07-59-41_565.jpg
    2012-05-12_07-59-41_565.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 3,209
  • 2012-05-12_08-00-26_43.jpg
    2012-05-12_08-00-26_43.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 723
  • 2012-05-12_08-01-50_672.jpg
    2012-05-12_08-01-50_672.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 797
  • 2012-05-12_08-03-58_657.jpg
    2012-05-12_08-03-58_657.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 750
I plug the Minuteman into a variable speed control and turn it down so it's extremely quiet. It moves just about as much air at half speed and you can't hear it.

The Minuteman is quieter than the EntreeAir. If your looking for silent air movement. Then the Tjernlund Aireshare is about the only option. Unless you buy one of those fancy new Dyson (blade-less) fans. But they are table-top models. Pretty big and pretty pricey.

I love our Minuteman. The noise doesn't bother us so much now. After a few years of using the EntreeAir's, its like a whisper in the wind.

Ceiling fans are also a great way to move air. We have several throughout the house (5 of them) and they run on Low (in reverse) when we are home and 2 of them run continuously on low, all day, every day (kitchen fan and dining room fan/pellet stove is in dining room).

Good luck in your search... Every year there are new products brought to the market. Just have to find the one that best suits your needs.

Thanks for the tip on turning down the speed. I might give that a whirl, although I might be throwing good money after bad.
I've already also put a ceiling fan at the top of the stairway, but I think that could be a waste too.
Oh well.

You can always use a varible speed control that plugs in for light dimming, soldering iron temperature (I use it for stained glass) and heat lamps to get the exact heat output I need for chickens, ducks and newborn animals. I stole it for other uses so much, I bought another.

You can always use a varible speed control that plugs in for light dimming, soldering iron temperature (I use it for stained glass) and heat lamps to get the exact heat output I need for chickens, ducks and newborn animals. I stole it for other uses so much, I bought another.

I put a variable speed control on the Broan #512 through the wall fan and was advised to NOT run under 50%-60% load. That it would damage the motor..... When its on Full blast it Cranks the air... But it sounds like a jet engine. On mid-level, it still moves a tremendous amount of air and the sound levek is very bearable.

Are certain motors better with variable speed controls? Im no electrician.....

I use the variable speed controls made for motors. Stay away from them marked "Incandescent only" for motors obviously. I believe the good ones have a capacitor in them to even out the flow. The motors that are AO or "Air Over" are cooled by the flow of air created by their load. Reducing speed reduces their own cooling capacity. The Minuteman is so small I don't see a overheat problem. Ours is quite a few years old, between 12 and 15 ? I take it apart to clean the blades and grille yearly and oil it. I heat one level 1850 sf. with a large cookstove (capable of 3000) and that fan is mounted high on the kitchen wall to balance the entire house. That is my sole heat source and is used 6 plus months out of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.