door gasket cement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smokepole

Burning Hunk
Sep 28, 2019
Foothills N.C.
I purchased a 13nc england stove in april of this year. On opening it up and checking it out. I noticed
the door gasket had been installed with rtv silicone. I noticed because there was between one quarter
and one half inch of excess all around the gasket. Top bottom and sides. Before my first firing I trimmed
the excess off best I could without messing up the door gasket.
Now that I am using this stove almost daily, after doing multiple burn offs.
When it gets up to temp. that burning rubber smell always starts. It gets stronger and stronger throughout
the burn. After about one hour the window needs to come open. The smell lingers until the stove cools to the touch.
The smell never gets any better.
My question is, what is the best product to use to cement a new gasket on that is not rtv silicone based?
I also noticed those three tags on the back of the rear heat shield were attached with the same stuff.
All those are now gone the rtv removed and cleaned up with alcohol. That took care of 90% of the
smell, but that other 10% is on the door gasket edges and I can't remove it all.
Thanks for any advice.

Dremel with the sphere grinding bit works great.

I use RTV just like the manufacturer of this and many (most?) other stoves. I have never had a smell after the initial cure and burn.

I agree with highbeam. Rtv is a much better product for door gasket. As long as you are near about it and keep it behind the gasket there is no smell. Pull the gasket off clean up the door and replace it using new rtv. If you keep it neat and clean you will be fine

Reactions: Dix
Dremel with the sphere grinding bit works great.
Thanks Vikestand
I do have one of those narrow wire wheels that goes
in a drill. Thought I would try that and cover my
glass in cardboard.

I use RTV just like the manufacturer of this and many (most?) other stoves. I have never had a smell after the initial cure and burn.
Thanks Highbeam
Today I went to the hardware store where I bought this stove. He had the kits from rutland with glue and gasket.
I bought the kit, he also had some plain fiberglass gasket. I got 7ft. of that. Question is, is the graphite impregnated
gasket that much better than the regular stuff, It seems cement would stick better to the regular stuff.
While there I checked out 4 England stoves he had on display. They were all as bad or worse than mine had been,
one door gasket had the silicone across the door gasket in two places. That will be nice on the first firing.
I am going to burn it a few more times before I go to the trouble to change the gasket.
It has been burned around 18 hrs. in 3 hour segments.
Appreciate the info.

I agree with highbeam. Rtv is a much better product for door gasket. As long as you are near about it and keep it behind the gasket there is no smell. Pull the gasket off clean up the door and replace it using new rtv. If you keep it neat and clean you will be fine
Thanks bholler
I guess being neat about it is the secret to success like in a lot of other things.

Thanks Highbeam
Today I went to the hardware store where I bought this stove. He had the kits from rutland with glue and gasket.
I bought the kit, he also had some plain fiberglass gasket. I got 7ft. of that. Question is, is the graphite impregnated
gasket that much better than the regular stuff, It seems cement would stick better to the regular stuff.
While there I checked out 4 England stoves he had on display. They were all as bad or worse than mine had been,
one door gasket had the silicone across the door gasket in two places. That will be nice on the first firing.
I am going to burn it a few more times before I go to the trouble to change the gasket.
It has been burned around 18 hrs. in 3 hour segments.
Appreciate the info.

I would not use any generic gasket on the Englander. People have tried and failed. The factory gasket is very dense and special. Take that rutland stuff back and buy some permatex ultra copper high temp RTV from the auto parts store when you get the proper gasket from Englander or wish to reset the current OEM gasket.

My Englander gasket was rather sloppily installed from the factory with extra black RTV oozed out. It didn't smell at all. Just the stinky paint burning fumes.

Agreed. OEM gaskets are often a higher quality than what is sold in bulk at the stores and even some stove dealers. On our stove for instance, the gasket is more like a gasket within a gasket.

Copper RTV will work, but so will red or black. Just don't use Permatex Blue. That stuff sets up rock hard under heat.

I would not use any generic gasket on the Englander. People have tried and failed. The factory gasket is very dense and special. Take that rutland stuff back and buy some permatex ultra copper high temp RTV from the auto parts store when you get the proper gasket from Englander or wish to reset the current OEM gasket.

My Englander gasket was rather sloppily installed from the factory with extra black RTV oozed out. It didn't smell at all. Just the stinky paint burning fumes.
Glad to hear from you Highbeam.
I will order a gasket from Englander. Didn't know there was that much difference in those gaskets.
I got in a hurry. Getting cold here Friday with rain. Like I said I am going to try some more burns.
The windows work what ever the weather.
Is that silicone Englander sends with the gasket lower temp. stuff?
Thanks

Is that silicone Englander sends with the gasket lower temp. stuff?

I have not yet had to buy a new gasket for my Englander. If they send some RTV with the gasket I will use it but the original gasket has held up really well probably due to the high density and flat contact area on the door frame.

Ultra black RTV from permatex is 500 degree rated stuff and the copper is 700 degree rated stuff. They both cost the same and I believe that both are fully functional in this application but why not get the higher temp stuff. Black or copper both look good if it were to squirt out a bit. Red or blue, not so much in my opinion.

Actually, black looks pretty dang good. Just don't go using regular household silicone!