Door gasket issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shaun643

Jan 4, 2018
Michigan (Thumb)
I replaced my door gasket it was factory. Calls for black graphite 5/8 so I went to tsc and picked up a rutland kit it came with the cement. I cleaned all the old off down to bare cast iron. I put the new gasket on per instructions let it sit for an hour then baked it on slowly working up to 500° .my issue is I can see right through the gasket into the stove and now I can't control my fire very well at all. Stove top temp with ir gun 685. Not over fire but hotter then I want. I also have all the shims out of the door Handel to make it closets Tite as possible still nothing. I know I need a new gasket but all I can do is go to tsc again .Any one else have this issue before??

What stove make and model? The solution most likely is to install the OEM gasket made for your stove. They are not all the same. Have the nearest dealer mail you one. It should be there in a day if they have it in stock.

What stove make and model? The solution most likely is to install the OEM gasket made for your stove. They are not all the same. Have the nearest dealer mail you one. It should be there in a day if they have it in stock.

Sorry. The stove is a Drolet 1800. The gasket I took out and the one I put in apper To be the same .Only difference is the factory was put in with a red silcone. Not sure if that's the problem or not. If so should I use more cement next time or find a high temp silicone

I had this issue with our PE Alderlea. After trying 2 different gaskets (Rutland and Meeco) which both didn't seal well I got the OEM gasket. It worked perfectly. I used red silicone.

Drolet sells the kit with gasket and silicone for about $17
https://www.drolet.ca/en/parts/?ModelName=&type=4&category=31&Serial=

When you get a chance can you add your stove to your signature line?

Reactions: Shaun643
Ugh. I had all kinds of trouble with the gasket cement like the Rutland black stuff. I would be meticulous about installing and curing it but some sections would just not hold.

I remember the original gasket was installed with a red cement. So I installed another gasket with some red Permatex RTV. It's perfect. I was originally concerned about needing to clean a mess up the next time I need to replace it. Over the past 3 years, the RTV has become dried out and brittle when scraped. Just like the original stuff.

From now on it red RTV for my gaskets.

Reactions: kennyp2339
Thanks guys I took my old gasket and a section of the new gasket to my dealer and he was surprised it was not sealing better so he showed me the or gasket and it looked the same as what I put in in from TSC. So I bought some oem gasket and I bought some 7/8 gasket and iam gonna try the 7/8 and see if that will fix it . problem now is I broke the handle trying to take it apart last night. So now I can't use my stove because I can't latch it shut

Well the good news is that you know a lot more about gaskets now than you did before.

Well the good news is that you know a lot more about gaskets now than you did before.

Isn't that the truth. So many times you *think* you know what you are doing and you don't really until you finally complete the project after a couple of go-rounds!