Door Gasket Seam (What to DO?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
So I just put my new door gasket on for my insert. Only problem is where the gasket material touches against each other does not seem to be right. Is there something I can do to make a nice transition on the ends of the gasket? I want to make sure I have a nice seal all the way around the door. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I cut mine about a half inch long. Then where they meet, I did a little snipping and weaving the ends together. Kind of like splicing, only you don't need the strength, just the size.

JimboM said:
I cut mine about a half inch long. Then where they meet, I did a little snipping and weaving the ends together. Kind of like splicing, only you don't need the strength, just the size.

+1 Then add in some adhesive on ends to meld/weld the ends together, let dry before closing door or uhhh ohhhh !!!

My issue is the ends of the gasket are a bit frayed. I dont want to cut any more off of it. Will I do any harm if the contact cement is hard and rubs on any metal of the stove? I dont want to put too much to join the two together RIGHT?

No you don't want too much.

Here's what I do maybe you can try it next time:

Cut the gasket long enough so you have 1/2 to 3/4 inch extra for each end. Use a pencil to tuck that amount back into the core of the gasket. Line the gasket up on the door so your seam will be in-between the door hinges. Apply a dab of cement at the seam after putting the gasket on the rest of the door. You'll have a nice finish to the seam with no fraying.

Status
Not open for further replies.