Door gasket troubles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Albie2010

Dec 21, 2016
Springvalley oh
Hey guys brand new to this site thanks for any and all help. I just bought a used buck stove model 51. The old model of the 74. When I would pull the draft lever all the way out, to shut off the air supply, it seems like I would still get quiet a bit of oxygen. I can pack this stove FULL of 22" logs and they will burn out in less than 4 hours. So I figured the door gasket was worn and I looked up what size to replace it with and all the stuff I read said 3/4". So I went and got it and it seemed huge. Way to big to fit in the groove of the door. So I took it back and got 1/2" and used it instead. Now it seems as if the oxygen lever is wide open. Even if it's
Pulled all the way out. Fire is burning full throttle lol. I snapped a pic of the grove in the door and you can see it's about 1/2" wide. Is the 3/4 rope the right size? Just seems way to big but this is also my first time. Help! Thanks!

Attachments

• Door gasket troubles
    IMG_3309.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 124
Might be 5/8", someone here will know if you can get it bumped enough. You could always call Buck and find out.

The Buck Store lists 3/4" for the 51 door gasket. That is what I'd use. It may get ovalized to fit in the channel.

Sometimes the door gasket seems really tight when new but will loosen up after a little use. My door was hard to close when new now it closes really easy.

Sometimes the door gasket seems really tight when new but will loosen up after a little use. My door was hard to close when new now it closes really easy.

Not sure how the Buck stove latches, but if the latch has been adjusted over the years to account for a worn gasket, the new one will probably seem really tight. Might need to adjust the latch along with the new gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.