Door glass gasket replacement.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clemsonfor

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2011
Greenwood county, SC
I replaced my door glass gasket last year as the previous season had a hunk missing. I did not like how loose Tue gasket tape was in there all last year. It would not pull smoke through it while running but I always assumed air was sneaking in.

Yesterday went to the stove shop again to get replacement gasket they had nothing thicker. So I bought twice as much and stuck one gasket on the other to double it up. Was a pain to get it folded over. But I got it in there to my liking. Its rock solid now and the gasket does not pull and move like it did before.

Anyone see anything wrong with this?

Pics this afternoon when I get home.!

Hard to say, I would think it could leak air between the gaskets. But if was loose before, you gotta try something. Did the manual say what size to use?

I'll have to look at the manual. I have to go online. The inside gasket sticks inward but it did that with the old one. This new one is tight now. If I grab the loose end I can't tug it with just minimal pull like the old one. I would grab it and it just slid in and out.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381883781974.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381883781974.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 253
Just checking with the experts. I think its better. No loose gaskets this way. Before it was loose I could pull the gasket out everywhere those tabs are not located. Now its solid.

Another

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381886247566.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381886247566.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 291
Does anyone know if the ceramic glass expands significantly when it heats up? If the factory gasket left some expansion space due to the glass expanding when it's hot, then there could be a problem if there is no space available for the expansion to take place. I'm not saying this is the case, I'm just speculating on why there might have been some space left with the original gasket. I do woodworking and know that in certain applications you have to leave expansion gaps to accommodate humidity changes or else wood panels can buckle or split. Does ceramic glass have expansion requirements?

I thought about that. But certainly it would expand not thicken and would just compress the fiberglass. But for what its worth the old gasket that is the one size flat gasket tape all over never got tighter as it heated up. The stove could be 500f or 90f and the gasket still was loose.

Don't get too concerned about what might or not leak in a glass gasket in a stove that by design has un-restricked air inlets as all EPA stoves have in them by design.

Essentially zero thermal expansion. (the Pyroceram, Neoceram, or whatever sort of window material you have in there)

Last edited:
That's what I used. The glass is OE. I taped one gasket to the other though. This one was darker and stiffer than the glass gasket I installed last yr from the. Same dealer. Both gaskets this yr and last were those 1/8 inch or whatever thick they are self adhesive door glass gasket. That's how I bought it both times bringing in my door to show what I wanted.

Should I pull one off. To me personally the seal is 10x better with the 2

If the seal is good and the glass secured it is probably fine. Watch for leaks the first few fires. If none, forget about it.

Why was the gasket replaced last year? Age?

The one was replaced last year cause I noticed a piece was missing!!! Not sure if who did it before cut it too short and then put a scrap in to fill the gap or what.? I am pretty sure there was gasket in the missing area but toward the end of 2 seasons ago I noticed that spot with no gasket, I assumed it fell it and I scooped it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.