door glass streaking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kniffin50

Aug 9, 2008
in the notch- ct.
I've noticed the glass on my insert door will be clear in some spots and gray in others.It goes from top to bottom in streaks.Is this where the gasket is leaking? Have adjusted latch, also burning more wood and secondaries won't ignite.Burning good wood 3yr plan. It's a regencey 2400i. thanks Rusty

If the accumulation were black, that would make me suspect of a leak. However, white or grey ash accumulation on the glass is normal and just part of the process.

I get this especially when loading wood up close to the glass. If i load shorter pieces N-S, or keep things back in the stove further when loading E-W, I get less of the white build-up.

Whenever I take ashes out of the stove (every week or two) since things are usually burned down, and I'll have the door open for a bit to cool, I just wet a paper towel and wipe it down.

pen

thanks for the reply, but it seems that after a full load and gradual shut down of air the fire does not die down like it used to with that rolling flamelike before. Rusty

I wouldn't be that concerned about grey deposits on the glass. When you close the air, do the flames go down? If so, and the only thing is you can't get secondaries, I wonder if the wood might be moist or something.

the flames die down alittle but not like they used to. they used to choke right off, and trust me the wood is dry, seasoned, cured. Rusty

Posting a pic might help Kniffin . . . like Pen I get some gunked up glass . . . particularly to one side . . . it's almost always been like this from Day 1 . . . I've always attributed this to a weaker air wash area on this side. That said, perhaps this is different.

Have you done the dollar bill test to check for gasket seal?
I have a unit like yours, and even though the latch feels a little loosey goosey, it still shuts the flames right down, except when things are rolling and then the secondaries light up, plus I don't ever close it all the way.

the flames die down alittle but not like they used to. they used to choke right off, and trust me the wood is dry, seasoned, cured. Rusty

Perhaps the driest you've ever used? And that could be the explanation?

dollar bill test, slight tug comes out. I'll go with possible best wood I've used.I know the homestead running in the basement has never been better. Thanks Rusty

Check your air tubes as well, I had this happen to me on my i2400 last season. At some point I had bumped the most rear air tube, likely trying to overfill my firebox :), and it had fallen out just enough that all that pre-heated air was flooding out into the firebox in the back right corner.

My glass was getting dirty, and no air was getting to the rest of the tubes so the only 'secondaries' i was getting was a little blow torch looking thing at the back.

I gently gripped it with a pair of vice grips and then was able to tap it back into the hole with a hammer. Everything back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.