1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Door Handle Seized

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ethanhudson, Jan 18, 2013.

1. ethanhudson

ethanhudson Member

Loc:
    South Dakota
    I need some help from the forum. I have a Drolet Austral in its second season. I replaced the door gasket on Wednesday. The door handle performed flawlessly up until that point. Subsequent to the first burn after I replaced the gasket the handle has become almost inoperable. I'm not sure what could have caused this and am curious if anyone has had a similar experience.

For reference the handle assembly on my stove is threaded into the door, as such the handle can be adjusted out or in to accomodate new gasketing, or gasketing as it compresses. After the installation of the new gasketing I had to adjust the handle in 3 turns but the handle turned freely. Now it is almost like it is seized, it will turn, but it takes a rediculous amount of effort to do so.

Please help!:(

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Yep. And then do the dollar bill test to make sure you are in proper adjustment. Sounds like you might be too tight with the new gasket.
  4. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    Put "Drolet Austral" in the title of the thread and you'll get input from other owners.
  5. ethanhudson

ethanhudson Member

Loc:
    South Dakota
    Thanks for the helpful advice. I knew that I would need to lubricate somehow, just wasn't sure how best to accomplish that.
  6. ethanhudson

ethanhudson Member

Loc:
    South Dakota
    I had "dollar billed" it to ensure proper fit. I'm not sure if me turning the handle out to accomodate the new gasket led to contaminants from the previously exposed threads getting into the tapped part of the door or what, but thanks for the advice.