Door on new insert sags. Normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marky_mark896

Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2008
Outside Bowling Green, Ohio
The door on my Lopi Freedom Bay has a visibly noticable sag. Probably 1/4" from hinge side to handle side. It feels sloppy on the pins that it rests on. I can lift it as I shut it, and it stays level once I latch it. Is this normal on stove doors? I was worried about the quality of the seal at the upper right corner and top edge of the door since that was where it would be falling away from. Am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks,
Mark

I'd get the dealer in there to fix it; after all you didn't pay for a door that flops around....

That said, don't expect perfection. The tolerance on a hinge pin style hinge subjected to high heat isn't going to be that close. My Hearthstone has always had some up down movement on the front door. It is a big door and maybe only 1/8" of actual up/down at the latch side.

My last stove was a freedom bay insert. I remember the door gasket being the good old big rope style where up/down misalignment didn't effect the actual seal.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll check it before calling the shop. It may only be an 1/8", and you're right, the gasket is the rope style, so probably a non-issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.