Door Screens??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
Anyone ever use a door screen on their stand alone wood stove? How'd it work out for you? What special considerations are worth thinking about, before buying/using a door screen?

I stumbled on a link for one for my Avalon, here: http://www.avalonfirestyles.com/product_guide/detail.aspx?id=112#
(scroll down to see it)

-Soupy1957

According to that website, the Rainier doesn't have an available screen. The same is true of my Shelburne, although other Hearthstones can use a screen. As I understand it, it depends on the design of the particular stove as to whether or not they should be operated with the door open.

Depends on the stove maker / stove design... As a first rule of thumb, I would not use a screen unless the manufacturer approved doing so for that particular model of stove.... Note that for some stoves, the approval may depend on the install details - my POS VC-Encore Cat is supposed to be OK to use a screen if connected to an 8" flue, but not if connected to a 6" flue as an example.

Essentially there are two potential issues depending on the stove -

Some stoves may not draft well enough with the door open, leading to smoke leakage into the room...

Others may draft overly well, leading to "runaway" fires, with consequent overfiring and related damage....

I would definitely say that at the very least I would do any experimenting using very small fires to start with, and only after I felt sure that I could easily and safely remove the (hot) screen and get the door shut in a hurry if needed.

Gooserider

We had a screen for our old Earthstove, we have a screen for our new Jotul. In the 30 years we burned the old stove I'd bet we didn't use that screen for a total of 24 hours. We have never burned the new stove with it in place and I'm almost certain we never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.