Double barber chair?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I've never seen a tree come apart like this! Be careful cutting!

Sorry if in the wrong forum.

Reactions: TWilk117
Scary!

Guy didn't obviously have an escape route (and backup route) planned; seems like he was scrambling for a clear route out.

I think he started slipping on the rock.
Yes, and he probably wasn't expecting to have to run from something like that. I'd be shaking for a week if that were me.

Just when you think you know what you are doing.

There is a report put out by I think the US Forest service, that gives circumstances and possible future training based on accidents. A good number of the incidences happened with the faller in the designated escape route. Limbs breaking and rolling back, stems splitting (as was here), tops hitting neighboring trees and springing back, trees falling in an unanticipated direction, were some of the major reasons.

To many falling pieces, he didnt know which one to run away from.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Definitely scary. Glad he was able to scramble to safety.

Guy didn't obviously have an escape route (and backup route) planned; seems like he was scrambling for a clear route out.
I think he started slipping on the rock.
His escape route was uphill over a mossy rock...fail! _g
To many falling pieces, he didnt know which one to run away from.
Yeah, Red Oaks here are notorious for having rotted-out cores. :oops: I wonder if that was a Pin Oak, with those drooping branches..?

Last edited:
Why cutting dead trees is terrifying to me.

Looks like conifers in the background..

That's why hollow trees are dangerous. Easy to have a escape plan but when the crap hits the fan things can go unscripted. Glad he made out alright.

Reactions: blacktail
My brother in laws brother got killed about 10 years ago from something similar, scary, why I buy split wood, only have to worry about throwing my back out stacking.

Reactions: sloeffle
There is a report put out by I think the US Forest service, that gives circumstances and possible future training based on accidents. A good number of the incidences happened with the faller in the designated escape route. Limbs breaking and rolling back, stems splitting (as was here), tops hitting neighboring trees and springing back, trees falling in an unanticipated direction, were some of the major reasons.
Do you have a link? I'd like to read that.

When I fell, I have one main escape route planned and cleared, and a second in a different direction in case the first one ends up looking like the wrong one. I try to plan those paths so they put another large tree between me and the one that's being felled. When the tree starts going down, I drop the saw, make a very quick decision as to which route to take, and do my best Usian Bolt imitation. I'm curious if this is anything like what you all do.

Do you have a link? I'd like to read that.

When I fell, I have one main escape route planned and cleared, and a second in a different direction in case the first one ends up looking like the wrong one. I try to plan those paths so they put another large tree between me and the one that's being felled. When the tree starts going down, I drop the saw, make a very quick decision as to which route to take, and do my best Usian Bolt imitation. I'm curious if this is anything like what you all do.
A safe haven or safety tree I think was emphasized in the below link also - escape route, with a defined safe haven from roll backs and falls from above. I would search those out in the past, but thought it interesting being mentioned here.

Reactions: Socratic Monologue
When I took the National Park Service training they really drilled preparing an escape route into the cut plan. The cut plan did cross all the t's and dotted all the i's but just was not practical for working forester. We were required to have two folks for every cut, one to do the cut and one to observe and fill out the forms. Probably made sense for a high hazard tree in a confined area but I just do not see it happening in the real world. Of course NPS investigates all incidents and if the rules werent followed they could allegedly refuse the claim for medical benefits to volunteers. I did not renew my saw license when it ran out.

Years ago the mill I worked for had one of the last company logging crews that logged our land. They had real good safety numbers and helped a local firm, Labonvilles, refine the kevlar chainsaw chap. At some point the mill sold the land and laid off the crews who went to work for local contractors. Most of them didnt make it a year without getting hurt. They quickly figured out that they were hired to crank out volume and in order to do volume they had to cut corners. If they didnt they would get told at the end of the week that they were not needed anymore. These days most of the wood in my area is done with a machine, about the only chainsaw folks are single man operations or arborists.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Whenever I fell trees I prefer to have a spotter. After investing in a skidding winch and snatch block I never fell a tree without them. I can put tension on a tree from almost any direction, keeps my tractor out of the way, and I can get the trees out easily of course.

We used to show this video at work to the new FireRangers when we were teaching them how to use the saw. We don't have big wood like that in Ontario, but still - some valuable lessons and reality checks in that video. Using a saw is no joke.