What's happening to this tree?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Some Ash the bark will come off. Some it doesn't. Seems the one's that have the bark come off are the younger ones at least in these parts. Bark exfoliation is a good thing to get it to dry out standing dead.
Yes, they don't all loose their bark. With any standing dead (bark or no bark) be very aware when making your notch that their is some holding wood left. Some of the ash here turn to complete punk in the bottom of the tree first. Personally if I see it's gone punky, I leave it alone, the uncertainty of how it may fall exceeds my comfort zone and better judgement. I was able to process most of the ash here before they became punky, it was alot of work, but glad I wasn't dropping trees with a puckered bottom end :).