1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

DOUBLE or single wall ?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by WASPKFD, Nov 8, 2013.

1. WASPKFD

WASPKFD New Member

Loc:
    Iowa
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH its FRIDAY!!! really hoping to get the stove hooked up this weekend.. sooooooooooooo my question is do you run single or double wall to the chimney pipe?? I see the single wall looks like it comes in a sheet that hooks together at the seem ( that don't look safe) also notice double wall too?? whats the difference ? THANX AGAIN!!!!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    We need to know what you have for clearance to combustibles before we can answer your question.
  3. WASPKFD

WASPKFD New Member

Loc:
    Iowa
    Thanx for the fast reply .. stove is 2 ft from wall with heat shield on back.... have a cathedral ceiling so about 10 feet from top of stove to ceiling.... The single wall just seems spooky lol
  4. Stoveman 77

Stoveman 77 New Member

Loc:
    Bloomsburg, pa
    Snap and put three screws in each section and you'll be good need 18" clearance around any single wall.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013
  5. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    If you use the snap-together stuff, it is. That's generally the thinnest (26 ga) stuff available...If you use 22 ga. Single-Wall, it's better & will last you longer. Either way. SW has 18 inch clearance to combustibles
  6. oldspark

oldspark Guest

I just bought some snap together pipe (had no choice on short notice) and it was 24 gauge, I like the welded seam pipe much better.
  7. oldspark

oldspark Guest

I have some 30 year old welded seam 24 gauge stove pipe and am still using it in the shop, if you burn dry wood with good flue temps stove pipe will lasts a long time.
  8. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Yep, you can get 22 G welded seam stovepipe. I got HeatFab, I believe.