double or triple wall pipe for a wood furnace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lugoismad

May 5, 2008
Ohio
I recently purchased a used wood furnace from my moms boyfriend. He's upgrading to a wood boiler this year, since his house has hot water radiators in every room.

I'm installing it in my attached garage, and running duct work from the garage to the crawl space for the hot air, and installing a duct into the utility room (the room the garage attaches to) for the cold air return.
Before any of you get started on "you can't have a solid fuel furnace in a garage!", I've already talked to the state fire marshal and my insurance company, and both said there is absolutely no law against it, and as long as I'm safe and don't stack jugs of gas and kerosene around the stove, it'll be fine. Installing it in the garage will keep all the mess out there, I can stack a few cords in the extra garage bay, so I don't have to go outside all the time to get wood in the cold weather, and it will heat the garage so I'm effectively creating an extra room in the house all winter because now its comfortable to work out there, and I have a motorcycle project I want to finish up this winter.

Now, to the question: Moms boyfriend swears up and down I need triple wall pipe. A guy at work that heats with wood says that double wall is just fine, because its in the garage and not running through a "living space", and since its wood I'm not worried about losing a little heat from using double and not triple wall.

Which would you suggest, and why?

Check with your building inspector. In most areas it is ILLEGAL to install a solid fuel burning device in an attached garage. As you will need a building permit to install the stove.

Please goto http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_access_document.asp?id=21106 and read NFPA 211 Chapter 12.2.3 and 12.2.4 Which both specifically state that you cannot install a solid fuel stove where there are gasoline vapors, or in any garage.

I do not see a reason for triple wall vs double wall, as long as whatever you are using is rated to what you plan to use it for.

Status
Not open for further replies.