Double Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brant2000

Feeling the Heat
Oct 24, 2011
Somerset, PA
So I posted a little while back about some nearby relatives that were going to have two huge sugar maples hauled away. To my delight, they had a change of heart and were gracious enough to let me take the wood instead. They mentioned the tree trimmers found a section that contained a large honeycomb, which they hauled off with. Well, while cutting, I noticed a soft spot followed by the sweet smell of honey! I collected what was left of the pieces of honeycomb that seemed loaded up, threw them in a roasting pan in the oven to melt it down. I think I'm going to need to find a way to do a final strain, but seems like I got quite a bit of honey out of it.

Attachments

• DSC_0175.jpg
    DSC_0175.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC_0181.jpg
    DSC_0181.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC_0182.jpg
    DSC_0182.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 191
I cut into a honey log once too. That sweet smell came right out. I got some of the honey but it was full of chips and tree debris. I was only able to salvage about a cup.

You mean this is a honey maple ,right ? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.