Double sided gas firebox - fireplace design help needed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Michael Penn

Sep 25, 2018
New York
Hi, my wife and I have just moved into a new house and we have a double-sided natural gas fireplace – one side is the living room the other is kitchen (pictures attached – apologies the cat decided to get into shot; note cables were already installed by previous owner for TV)

The firebox has a very tall hearth which has raised the height of the firebox (total height of box + hearth = 41”)

Does anyone have any ideas of what kind of fireplace design we should put around this box? On the living room side we’d like to keep the fireplace as low as possible so we can put a TV above the fireplace without having to strain our necks upwards!

If we went for classic trim/filler panels AND header AND mantel shelf, we’d end up with the mantel shelf around 60” from the ground – putting a TV above would end up very high. We are looking for an interesting design but something that would keep the profile fairly low. what would be a "standard" fireplace design for this room (if one exists)?

Thank you!

20180922_141315.jpg

20180922_141308.jpg

20180922_141301.jpg

20180919_205202.jpg

New York doesn't narrow down your location, & some parts are colder than others, so if you intend to get heat out of this set-up, you are going to be severely disappointed. I would contact your local hearth shop & tell them what you want to do. Bring the complete dimensions of what you have there, along with these pix. This set-up might be IDEAL for two back-to-back Modern style Direct Vent Fireplaces or Inserts... You can get heat out of one or both as needed & the modern finishing trim panels are significantly lower in profile. That feature will allow your TV to be mounted lower on the wall & still be away from the heat.
Hope this helps...

Thanks Daksy much appreciated. Actually we are not too bothered about getting heat from the firebox, it's more about the design (we are in Westchester County, NY - cold but not like northern NY). Thanks for the tip I looked up Modern Style Direct Vent, looks very interesting and good for me to explore. Any thoughts on any designs which may have a mantel shelf? Apologies for the vague question I am just not sure what I should be searching for online and can't seem to find any local fireplace stores. thanks again