Double sided propane fireplace - a few questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ansky

Feb 18, 2013
central CT
Hi... I just bought a new house and in the middle of the house (not on an outside wall) is a propane gas fireplace that is double sided (to a living room and a dining room). Fake logs. No idea the brand, but it's probably from the early 90s when the house was built. There's also a pilot that stays lit all the time. It's in a masonry fireplace and chimney.

Anyway, my questions:
1. Does the damper need to be open or closed when using the fireplace. I'd think closed would put more heat into the house, but I also don't want to die. The kitchen stove uses propane to cook, and that's not vented to the outside. Same thing, right?
2. I'm thinking about removing the burners and putting in a wood or pellet burning stove in it's place. Does anyone make a double sided wood burning or pellet stove? (this may be a question for a different section of the forum).

Thanks.

Hi... I just bought a new house and in the middle of the house (not on an outside wall) is a propane gas fireplace that is double sided (to a living room and a dining room). Fake logs. No idea the brand, but it's probably from the early 90s when the house was built. There's also a pilot that stays lit all the time. It's in a masonry fireplace and chimney.

Anyway, my questions:
1. Does the damper need to be open or closed when using the fireplace. I'd think closed would put more heat into the house, but I also don't want to die.

If you could post pics of what you have, that would help, but here goes...

If the unit is a built-in sealed unit, then the damper should not be in question.
If you have a see thru wood burning open fireplace with a gas log burner (or burners) installed,
then the damper needs to be at least partially open, & probably fully open. You cannot not heat
your house with it. It is an ambient appliance & not heater-rated.

The kitchen stove uses propane to cook, and that's not vented to the outside. Same thing, right?

ABSOLUTELY NOT. Every winter, during power outages, people try to heat their homes with their gas ranges & MOST of them DIE.

2. I'm thinking about removing the burners and putting in a wood or pellet burning stove in it's place. Does anyone make a double sided wood burning or pellet stove? (this may be a question for a different section of the forum).

Not at this time. You can block off one side & install an insert to heat the other side, but not both. Given enough room back-to-back GAS Direct Vent inserts may work, but not wood or pellet.

Again, if you post pics, I can be more sure of my answers.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. Here's some pics of the current set up.
IMG_9948.JPG IMG_9946.JPG IMG_9944.JPG IMG_9942.JPG IMG_9907.JPG

Gas log set. Damper open. In fact, there should be a small 'c' clip on the damper to prevent it from being closed completely...

I just checked. You're right. There is. I hadn't noticed that before.