Double wall chimney about 7 feet above the stove in the attic is really hot too the touch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bub381

Minister of Fire
Feb 4, 2011
Mid-coast Maine
Is this normal? No putting hands on it.

It can get very hot to the touch, even quite a distance from the stove. It's venting gases several hundred degrees hot, so it's to be expected, I feel.

Just making sure,it's newly installed but a 200 yr old house.DRY!!!! Have to make sure. THANKS

As long as you observe the 2" clearance and enclose any that passes through a living space, you're fine.

It was profeesionally installed,all is good.

just make sure yer insulated pipe is the necessary 2" from combustibles, and where it passes through floors, ceilings or the roof, make sure you have a firestop with the 2" airspace around it....I know what yer saying, when I installed my Napoleon 1900P several years ago in our kitchen I was nervous about the temps that the pipe was getting.....but the clearances were fine and I have never had a problem with it.....(knock on wood).....it does pay to periodically inspect the surrounding combustibles so you have piece of mind that everything is OK, and I also clean my chimney more than they tell you to just to be safe.....

We have a closet that leads to a kneewall and it comes up through the kneewall.Installed a smoke detector in the closet and other rooms.It has more than the 2" needed.I do keep an eye out for anything showing too much heat.

Bub381 said:
We have a closet that leads to a kneewall and it comes up through the kneewall.Installed a smoke detector in the closet and other rooms.It has more than the 2" needed.I do keep an eye out for anything showing too much heat.

Yes Bub, sounds like you have it covered pretty good....all goes back to the saying "an ounce of protection is worth a pound of prevention"......or something like that....lol....my friends all call me Scotty Overkill because I go totally above and beyond code anytime I can do so, just for the piece of mind.....helps me sleep better knowing my family will be safe......

It's a good idea,that's why we went with the professional install. Can't mess up anywhere on heat clearances.

Professional install is absolutely no guarantee of professional or safe install. It should be, and the pros are generally better than the worst DIY. I measured my clearances after the professional install and the pipe was less than 2" from the rafter. I had him come back and reinstall. The permit inspector had no interest in checking clearances either so that is another "guarantee" that isn't a guarantee.

So, as you did, check it yourself.

Good point. I've see good and bad professional installs. One neighbor had all sorts of combustible debris left in the ceiling support box. On our install they left out several required screws in the connector pipe.

madison said:
To transition a structure - wall, ceiling etc, the stovepipe should be Class A, not "double wall". And would remain Class A from that point.

Are you confusing Class A as double wall? Or indeed is it double wall in your attic?

My thoughts to Madison. There is double wall stove pipe, single wall, triple wall and class A.

Selkirk and yes Class A,clearances to any wood on the roof is prob closer to 4".As far as the ceiling goes i couldn't tell you.It's closed in.Class A pipe,slip pipe comes within 4" of the stove which has a 4" flu connector because of the clearances.I also have the hearth and wall protection with the 1" space for air and also went over kill on the hearth.2x4 frame with air vents to every compartment,3/4 plywood,1/2 cementboard and tile.Only needed ember protection

Highbeam said:
Professional install is absolutely no guarantee of professional or safe install. It should be, and the pros are generally better than the worst DIY. I measured my clearances after the professional install and the pipe was less than 2" from the rafter. I had him come back and reinstall. The permit inspector had no interest in checking clearances either so that is another "guarantee" that isn't a guarantee.

So, as you did, check it yourself.

+1 . . . I've seen a few professional installations where we had the home owner and call the company back to fix a problem with clearances . . . in one case the penetration in the ceiling had combustibles too close and the penetration in the roof you could see daylight which was not so much a safety issue as it was a potential leak issue.

As for the heat . . . folks sometimes hear about double wall pipe allowing you to get closer to the wall and folks talk about single wall pipe throwing off lots of heat and may assume the double wall will be quite cool . . . there's still plenty of hot gas going through the pipe and even with double wall it will throw a bunch of heat. As long as the clearances are good and temps are running in the zone you should be golden . . . that said . . . even now once in a while I'll check the temp of the wall next to my double wall pipe just to check on the heat.

Flamegrower said:
Bub381 said:

Yes Bub, sounds like you have it covered pretty good....all goes back to the saying "an ounce of protection is worth a pound of prevention"......or something like that....lol....my friends all call me Scotty Overkill because I go totally above and beyond code anytime I can do so, just for the piece of mind.....helps me sleep better knowing my family will be safe......

Nothing wrong with exceeding the code and manufacturer's recommendations . . . generally those figures are only the minimum requirements . . . when it comes to safety oftentimes it is good to exceed those minimum requirements for that extra measure of safety since sometimes things do go south and when they do it's always nice to know you have a little more wiggle room.

Status
Not open for further replies.