Double-wall flue with wooden chase safe for woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoodoo

Dec 15, 2013
va
Hey everyone, I just bought a house with a prefab ZC 1992 heatilator 42" fireplace in it. I'd like to tear out the fireplace and put in a small woodstove. The home currently has an 8'' double wall metal flue going up through a wooden chase with a metal flue cap on top. My main question is: Is a masonry type chimney needed to safely contain the hotter burn of a wood stove? My father has a woodstove that I grew up around, he built his own masonry chimney for it that has been safe for 40 years. I'm really only familiar with his setup. I realize that i'll need a certified sweep's advice on the safety of the flue itself. So, are metal double walled flues inside a wooden chase even used with actual wood stoves? Or is this setup strictly for ZC fireplaces?

I appreciate any advice!

thank you

hoodoo

you cant hook a wood stove to that flue ,but you can put a insert with a liner inside what you allready have.The other option is to tear it out add some pack pipe to your chase and then hook a wood stove to that.

Reactions: webby3650
Ya, that pipe isn't rated to handle the heat that a woodstove is able to produce. You need 2100 degree pipe, Class A chimney is what you need if you want to research it.

Status
Not open for further replies.