1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Double wall stove pipe and chimney question

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by mepellet, Oct 4, 2013.

1. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    Just picked up the last of the chimney pieces that had to be special ordered through the big box store and I have a couple questions.
    Stove is a napoleon 1100c, stove pipe is Selkirk double wall stove pipe, and chimney is Selkirk supervent.
    1. The telescopic stove pipe looks like it was squished during shipment. Any ideas on how to reshape it?
    2. I needed a 15 degree offset kit. I loose fit it together and noticed that the inner lining didn't fit snuggly and I could see some of the insulation. It isn't much but is this ok with the flue gases basically getting into the insulation space? The picture I took isn't very good but hopefully you understand what I am describing.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mepellet

Loc:
    Central ME
    Anybody got any ideas/advice on these?
  3. Oregon aloha

Oregon aloha Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Willamette Valley and the coast
    Take it back to the box store and have them order you a new one. They can charge it back to the shipper. Did you notice the damage at the store and then except it or did they not inspect it before you brought it home?
  4. mepellet

Loc:
    Central ME
    They didn't inspect it. Neither did I though. They had to special oder it because they don't stock the telescopic double wall stove pipe and it took 3 weeks to get it.
  5. brogsie

brogsie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    eastern MA
    I would take it back.
  6. mepellet

Loc:
    Central ME
    Thanks for the advice so far. I assume both of you are referring to the disformed telescopic double wall stove pipe. What about the elbow kit? I have attached another picture that better shows the male end that points down to the stove and how it appears smaller than the female end. I understand that it should be smaller so it fits inside the female end but I can see some of the insulation when I look up it. Is this normal?

Attached Files:

7. brogsie

brogsie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    eastern MA
    Why don't you give Selkirk a call and ask them if it's normal.
  8. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    That elbow is normal. After everything is secured together there will no issue.
    The double wall needs to go back. A telescoping section is useless if its dented, with the dent it won't slip worth a darn.
    I'd return it and get some pipe from a hearth store. It could be snowing in 3 more weeks!
  9. mepellet

Loc:
    Central ME
    Good to hear about the elbow.

The double wall telescopic stove pipe slides easily and I think I'll be able to reshape it close to a perfect circle. The end was squashed not dented.

I have a pellet stove that handles the house just fine. Installing the wood stove just because we like the feel of the wood heat once in a while.
  10. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    And the Woodstove won't break down on you in January! Well, unless its a down draft stove.;lol