Dow 736 red silicone rtv gasket sealant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mcsniper

Jan 7, 2021
Canada
Hey!
So I used this sealant recommended by regency for my i3100 insert for the door rope gasket and it says to allow 24 hours for cure time but also says full strength is reached in 7 days. Should I wait 7 days to use my stove? Worried the seal could fail.

thanks!

Last edited:
Hey!
So I used this sealant recommended by regency for my i3100 insert and it says to allow 24 hours for cure time but also says full strength is reached in 7 days. Should I wait 7 days to use my stove? Worried the seal could fail.

thanks!
Where did you use it?

I used it in the channel of the door to secure the new rope gasket. This is the product recommended by regency.
You do not have to wait 7 days

Reactions: mcsniper
Agreed. 24 hrs is totally sufficient. FWIW, I gave our gasket 12 hrs to set up. The gasket was replaced in the middle of winter and we needed to get burning again. I used red RTV. That was several years ago. It's still doing well.

Agreed. 24 hrs is totally sufficient. FWIW, I gave our gasket 12 hrs to set up. The gasket was replaced in the middle of winter and we needed to get burning again. I used red RTV. That was several years ago. It's still doing well.

ok awesome, going to start her up then, thanks!

The heat of the stove will dramatically accelerate "curing".

I haveve done it on hot stoves before

No, and I wouldn't recommend that for any gasket adhesive.
I wouldn't recommend it either. It isn't fun to do at all and I am sure it didn't hold as well as it should. But it hasn't come off in 2 years. It needed done and I said well I guess I will try it

I've cured high temp RTV with a torch, or over the flame of a gas stove before. Again not recommended, but IME it's just as strong and just as difficult to remove as the air cured stuff.

Just did one saturday with loctite 596 waited about 2 hours seems to be fine.