Smoke Smell King KE40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Update for you guys. I burned a load on high last night for about 2 hours before I turned it down then again this morning for another 2 hours. It is definitely getting better but still there which leads me to believe it’s the paint still curing or tightening the gasket helped. I’m going to burn for at least a couple more days and I’ll do a few runs on high to see if it’s getting better. Thanks for the help everyone! I’ll get back on here after the weekend and let you know if it’s better or not.
Glad to hear there's progress. Keep us posted.

Alright guys I have an update. I had it on high this morning when I reloaded it for about an hour. The problem still persists. Its not a normal smoke smell though, it doesn't smell like smoldering wood or unburnt smoke so I'm hoping it's still the paint. Do the cat stoves just have a different smell to them? Any ideas? I am going to text the dealer today but you guys are a wealth of knowledge so if anyone has an idea I'll try it. Also, I used a stove top adapter, but I hear people just slide the double wall over the stove instead of the adapter. Would that make a difference?

Soooo?
Have you ran a few loads at reduced settings?
Believe I would try.
Reduce 1/3 for a load after initial charring.

if you can eliminate the adapter
Try it

I run no adaptors

One test at a time

Fill us in. Good luck

Alright guys I have an update. I had it on high this morning when I reloaded it for about an hour. The problem still persists. Its not a normal smoke smell though, it doesn't smell like smoldering wood or unburnt smoke so I'm hoping it's still the paint. Do the cat stoves just have a different smell to them? Any ideas? I am going to text the dealer today but you guys are a wealth of knowledge so if anyone has an idea I'll try it. Also, I used a stove top adapter, but I hear people just slide the double wall over the stove instead of the adapter. Would that make a difference?
Possibly. There are several stoves where the adapter is not necessary and too small for the flue collar. This is case with DVL stovepipe on our stove. The adapter is too loose whereas the regular pipe fits well.

Do you anticipate needing to run the stove wide open for more than the initial charring/reload period?

Curious

Do you anticipate needing to run the stove wide open for more than the initial charring/reload period?

Curious
Not really sure honestly. It's a new stove so this coming season will tell. If I had to take a guess, the majority of the high runs would be for charring the wood. Maybe 5-10 days of cold enough temps to use it on high for the day but that's just a wild guess.

Its not a normal smoke smell though, it doesn't smell like smoldering wood or unburnt smoke so I'm hoping it's still the paint. Do the cat stoves just have a different smell to them? Any ideas?
I will say that my BK's have a unique smell, when heated up real well, or first lit after a cold smell. It's not smoke or creosote, and it's not the normal paint "stink" you get off a new stove. I'm not sure what the hell it is or how to describe it, but it is unique and it is the stoves. I've always just chalked it up to, "well, anything is going to have a smell when you heat it up from 70F to 700F in fifteen minutes," but I wonder if this is what you're smelling.

It has definitely diminished over the years, and isn't anything that particularly bothers us, but it is easily identifiable when I first walk into the house from outside. I also smell my baseboards when they kick on, starting with the smell of burning dust in the first days of autumn, to just warm metal later in the season. Heck, even an empty pan on the stove has a smell, when first heated.

I will say that my BK's have a unique smell, when heated up real well, or first lit after a cold smell. It's not smoke or creosote, and it's not the normal paint "stink" you get off a new stove.
I don't know if it has a bearing but I seem to recall BKs get painted with a different paint than the standard StoveBrite or Thurmalox. Also, the cast iron jacket does not get up to stove top temp so it never gets the bake-in that the steel body does. I have wondered about that with all cast iron jacketed stoves, not just the Ashfords. I can say that unless our stove approaches overfire temp there is no smell from it, though it is 15 now.

Reactions: BKVP and Ashful
I have had my stove going the past week. Still has the smell but its only on high and I can't help but to think it's only getting better. Talked to my dealer and he said he hadn't ever heard of a smell other than when it's burned off the first time. On another note-

This thing is awesome. I think I'm burning LESS than half the wood I did with my pre-EPA stove. And I can control the temp with a turn of a knob. With my last stove the temps in my house fluctuated a lot since it would burn us out then get cold. This thing is extremely easy to run and is keeping us warm.

After a few months of burning I don’t get the smell nearly as much as I was. If I get the stove loaded and have it on hi without the fans on I can smell it still but I think it’s because it is hitting a temp it hasn’t hit yet. On normal operation I have zero smell. I also don’t get the smell on initial burns either. I have burned a continuous fire since October and this stove is a life changer. I have only recently hit 2 cords burned so far. I am thinking I will burn less that 4 cords this season. My wife even runs this stove! Thanks for everyone’s help.

Reactions: BKVP
My stove, a coal stove, has been used in my house for 4 years and the stove is much older than that, as I bought it used. Hottest I’ve ever had it was last season at 420F.

I just lit the stove yesterday for the first time this season and it’s current cruise temperature is mid 190’s…yes, about 195F. I could smell it for the first 3-4 hours it burned on Saturday. By this morning, Sunday morning , the smell was gone. I won’t smell it again until I burn it hotter than 420F, which isn’t likely, or until I relight the stove next season. They do smell at the start of each season.