Down Draft problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunstman

Hearth Supporter
Dec 31, 2009
Central VA
I have posted last year with problems about my poor draft problems with a Huntsman after 15 years. I have always had to clear the flu by lighting newspaper before starting a fire. After I had draft problems and started troubleshooting, i have noticed when I open the draft dials after the stove sits I do get air coming down the flu and out of the intakes ( Reverse Flow). If I light a match it blows hard enough to blow it out.

Ideally I would think no air should come down the flu, but since I had no issues for 15 years I never actually did this before, so is it normal for any air to flow in the opposite direction.

After reading all the replies to my original post and trying everything mentioned I still do not have a resolution to my problem. I am leaning to a negative air pressure problem, the house drafts better than the stove/flu but I don't know what caused this or how to possibly cure it.

Status
Not open for further replies.