Downdraft fix with draft inducer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I'm into my second season with a Waterford Leprechaun Wood burning stove. Last season I experienced down drafts with 30+ MPH winds. I purchased a Vacu-Stack and installed it mid-season. It didn't help at all! As far as options I was told I have to long of a horizontal run and that is causing the stove to stall out. It was either spend another thousand to run the pipe straight up or try the Inducer that cost $136.00. I installed it last month and have been enjoying a smoke free house ever since. It also helps with starting a cold stove with a negative draft. Just open the vent, turn on the Inducer and light the fire. No smokey back-up. In the past on windy days I would have to shut the stove down and turn on the furnace. If you are interested in purchasing one shop around. I found them as high as $270.00 and low as $99.00 on Northerntool.com. This was well worth the money! Also check out http://www.draftinducers.com/

I can see how these would work, but wouldnt they get all "crudded up" with creosote, or are the just used when starting a stove to get the draft going?

Mike, i think these get installed on the single wall inside, so a chimney fire shouldnt effect it to much. But im with you, i wouldnt want to cut my pipe up. Also it would look pretty ugly installed. It would be impossible to install it on the class A, it would be illeagle to cut the interior liner.

Agreed, it would be a last stop measure, but I can see a draft inducer as the only option for some folks. Cleaning should be routine, as long as clean burning practices with seasoned wood were observed.

With the newer EPAII stoves, do you get that much creosote? I get it in my stovepipe, but the chimney itself stays pretty clean. I have an EPAI stove. I imagine the IIs keep the chimney even cleaner.

If you installed one, you would have to run it at all times. Otherwise you would have installed one heck of a damper.

Matt

You all have valid points and concerns. This was my only option. My wife does not care care for the appearance but since the house does not fill with smoke anymore she has learned to over look it. It has to mounted at least 24" above the stove on a vertical pipe. It can be mounted a horz. pipe but has to be on the bottom. Cleaning is recommended once a season. I'll give an update after I clean it at end of the season. I imagine it will be a bit bothersome. You do not have to run it all the time only when needed. The fan only protrudes 1/3 into a 6" pipe. So it does not act as a damper. Yesterday was a very windy and cold day in the NE, with the inducer running on the lowest speed I didn't have any down draft issues. It beats having to turn on the furnace!

It is the third season I am using it, and totally satisfy with it, using it only for startups as my chimney is out doors and cool.

There is not much deposit on it after a year of usage. I don't need to disassemble it since I remove the whole flue section with it and it sitting not to far from the top of the flue.

Again great product.

Here are before and after pics when I cleaned the unit.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 894
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 529
Yeh, it looks like mine, except I did not bother removing the thing because it is a hassle puting back the 4 little screws and sealing it back again. Since the inducer is near the opening I can easily brush the impeller off from all the minor deposits.

Cheers

I see a ton of installs where draft is an issue. In a lot of them make up air is not provided therefor a vacuum is the fault for weak or poor draft.
Wet wood is a cause and oversized flues are also suspect.

True if a guy was on the slope of a hill or he had tall trees next the the house a downdraft could occur and a fan would be the answer.
There are also draft hoods by Artimis that create draft and protect against winds causing downdrafts.

I had an oversized flue as I was using a direct connect 8" oval into an 11 x 11 chimney. To get the draft going properly, I would set up the kindling and, before lighting, preheat the stove and flue by running a small portable heating with into the the stove door. After a couple minutes, I would light the fire and have the correct direction of draft.

My new chimney liner arrived this week. Today fabricated and installed a insulated sheet metal plate in the back of the fireplace, fabricated a block off plate. Then it started raining. I hope to have the new liner installed in the new few days. I have the insulation kit for it as well. I plan to pick up the new F500 Oslo from the shop next Saturday. I hope that the new set up will eliminate the draft problem I have at startup. I have a 25' straight chimney.

The pictures were taken back in the fall of 2007. Last year I was able to clean it by reaching into the stove pipe. I know it wasn't as clean as if I would have removed it but I think it was sufficient enough. It was a hassle removing it, cleaning it and then re-installing it and sealing it with high temp silicone. I won't be doing that every season.

However, this is a good product that will help with downdraft issues. This will be my fourth season using it so I will say it's built well considering the amount of heat the motor has to endure during constant use. Like I stated in prior posts I don't use it constantly but when we have multiple days of high winds it runs 24/7 and has never let me down.

Status
Not open for further replies.