Downed red maple.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
IMG_1109.JPG IMG_1108.JPG IMG_1107.JPG This is part of the top half of a red maple tree that had succumbed to done sort of insect damage, I think. About 2 yrs ago, I saw that became weak about 15 feet up trunk. One day it gave out and fell against another tree and stayed there since, until today. Happened to see when it decided to fall. The wood ranges from solid to "eh" looking. Not sure if the wood was killed by insect or what. Let me know what you think.

Looks pretty okay but I would use it up, doesn't look like it would last real long once split except for the solid part, I'd use the "eh" part this Winter if it is dry enough.

Solid part tested at 19% on fresh part that broke. Will test the "eh" part tomorrow.