Downhill to the shed...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NW Walker

Nov 26, 2012
I've been taking out a few trees above the house lately, both for more light and fuel. I figure I've got around 6 cords on the ground so far. The best part? I just get to roll the rounds down to the shed for splitting and stacking! Sure beats loading 'em in the truck.

P1030973.jpg

I've got a similar situation. Nice to let gravity do its work. I did have one round take an unexpected bounce and change in route, which put a small dent
in a new steel building. Oh, well. It's got character now.

What kind of tree??

I've got a similar situation. Nice to let gravity do its work. I did have one round take an unexpected bounce and change in route, which put a small dent
in a new steel building. Oh, well. It's got character now.
that log looks like its about ready to get rolled through the cattle gate

Reactions: ScotO
easy pickins' for sure, but just be careful. We did a job two summers ago that was situated on a hill just about like you have there, with a very high-dollar house and pool down below us. We were cutting several big black locusts down for the homeowner, just inside the woodline. As we bucked up the trees, we'd pitch the rounds out of the woods and into a pile at the top of the hill, where we planned on getting them in the truck and trailer. Well, one of those bigger rounds got away from us and rolled down the hill into a VERY EXPENSIVE anodized aluminum fence that surrounded the pool. Put a big dent in the bottom rail of a section on that fence. Luckily, we got the bend out of it, but still informed the owner of the house what happened. He wasn't upset, as you couldn't even tell where the round hit the fence. But it still made me madder than you-know-what. Hills can be helpful AND hurtful, in some situations.....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
It's a fir, although I'm not sure exactly what variety. I know some of the trees I cut a little higher up on the hill are Doug for sure, but the one in the photo looks like it's a different variety. Really sappy in the heart, and the bark is not quite right for Doug. I have been trying to get better at tree I.D., but I've got a ways to go.

Thanks for the warnings guys. I took the largest rounds and made a barrier in front of the fence and gate there. Full disclosure: I did that after a round went through the fence! Lol. At least the tree fell the right way.

P1030979.jpg

Don't worry. You have a good fence that will stop them! Make a game of it. Open the gate and see if you can roll them into the barnyard!

Hey gang, been awhile since I've been around here but I thought I'd update this since the trees are still coming downhill and the stacks are growing. This one is a Big Leaf Maple that was standing dead, three trunks like this all wrapped around each other. I had a faller friend come in for this one, pretty cool to watch him work it. Three consecutive face cuts then three back cuts, and the whole thing went at once. I've been cleaning up the tops and using that for outdoor cooking, and was able to drag this trunk down with the old dodge so I could work it right at the stacks. Still two more up there like this, plus a bunch of firs that came down earlier. I'm getting there on the stacks!

Nice setup. Gravity is definitely your friend if you use it to your advantage. I don't have anywhere near the hill that you do but I get my tree guy to lay out logs high on the right side of my yard and they work their way through the process to the stacks in the lower left, as long as they are round they roll real nice.

Nice wood you got there!

Nice Gren house & wood set up.

Where you located ?
Looks like the PNW with all the evergreens

Thanks guys, I did a lot of clearing up this slope this past winter to get more light to the greenhouse. It won't always be this easy, so I'm thankful for these ones.

Yeah Dave, I'm on the North Olympic Peninsula.

Thanks guys, I did a lot of clearing up this slope this past winter to get more light to the greenhouse. It won't always be this easy, so I'm thankful for these ones.

Yeah Dave, I'm on the North Olympic Peninsula.

I golfed up there a few years back. Beautiful country.
Aren't some parts in the rain shadow?

Status
Not open for further replies.