1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

DR Chipper

Post in 'The Gear' started by Swamp Fox, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Member

Does anyone have any experience with the DR chipper? I am thinking of buying one that will operate off the PTO of my tractor. With the drought here in the Southeast, there is a statewide ban on open fire buring, so I can't burn them, and probably won't be able to for quite some time. I have a DR walk behind brush hog and a DR string trimmer on wheels, and both are top quality. I suspect the quality of the chipper is top notch, but I am wondering about how fast and how well they chip (reportedly will do a 4.5 inch log). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    I live a couple of miles from the DR factory. I've seen the PTO driven chipper in their factory store, and it looked pretty nice. Lighter than a commercial unit, but solid and well made. I was in the factory store yesterday and they didn't have one on display at that time, so I can't go back and look at it to answer any specific questions.

They've offered to let me borrow any piece of equipment for evaluation, but I'm not inclined to do that at 5 degrees, even for a fellow hearth.com member. Sorry.
  3. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Member

Thanks for the info. I contacted DR after receiving a brochure in the mail, indicating a lower price for 2007 clearance models in prep for the 2008 models which will be coming out at the beginning of 2008. I got on the DR website and it said the 2008 models will have improved features. So I called them to obtain info on the "improved features" to determine which would be better for me; buying a current model at the reduced price, or waiting and buying a new model. I was given "top secret information." The 2008 models will have a bigger hopper, a heavier flywheel, and will chip at a faster pace. The 2008 models will have a price increase, but I think the improvements are significant and have decided to wait for the improved version. Your feedback has affirmed my decision. Thanks again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.