Draft issue with different wood types?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gotrek

Burning Hunk
Nov 20, 2014
Manitoba
I have a BK scirocco 30.1 Last year I burned Box Elder and had no issues It's moisture content was abou 18-22% average but this year I'm burning Jack Pine (13-14% moisture content) and I'm having issue with smoke coming out the loading door when I reload, less when there is just coals left but still it never happened with the Elder.

Is that a "thing"

I reload the same way. Turn off the fan, Open the thermostat to full, open the bypass wait a couple mins open the loading door slowly let things equalize.

Made sure all the house fans are off when I reload, Opening a window in the stove room. I swept the chimney, made sure the cap was clear.

It's not too big of a deal but I was wondering if wood type can cause that or if I should keep looking.

Chimney is about 10 ft of double wall with two 30 degree bends and about 6ft of class A (only 2 ft protrudes the peak of the roof)

Might as well put two things in one post.

A while back (when I was about to sweep the chimney) I noticed my cat had come out of it's slot about 2cm. I just reseated it and thought nothing of it... How would that happen?