Draft issues on yurt stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kyleds8

Dec 28, 2023
new mexico
Hello,

I recently setup an old stove I have in a yurt and am having issues with smoke blowback when I open the door. If I burn only very dry wood the problem is reduced, but still present and my burn is weak and temperamental. I open the door slowly, and try to keep closed until theres some heat in the stove. Unfortunately stove is choked 8” to 6” then pipe has a 3.5ft vertical (single), 4ft horozontal, then a6ft exterior run( triple). Do you think adding another section on external would improve draft?

many thanks,

Kyle

IMG_2758.jpeg IMG_2757.jpeg IMG_2762.jpeg IMG_2763.jpeg IMG_2765.jpeg

The stove is getting choked down. It has an 8" flue collar goint to 6". Also, the hearth protection looks to be poor. With those short legs, there should be much better heat protection for the floor

Besides the error of choking at the flue collar, there are a couple things wrong with the flue system. One, it's too short. It could use another 4 ft of chimney height. The second is the interior 90º elbow. The stove will draft better with a 45º offset off of the stove connecting to another at the thimble. Here's a yurt I helped setup years ago.

yurt exterior flue.jpg
Yurt stove.jpg
yurt1 outside.jpg

Last edited:
The stove is getting choked down. It has an 8" flue collar goint to 6". Also, the hearth protection looks to be poor. With those short legs, there should be much better heat protection for the floor

Besides the error of choking at the flue collar, there are a couple things wrong with the flue system. One, it's too short. It could use another 4 ft of chimney height. The second is the interior 90º elbow. The stove will draft better with a 45º offset off of the stove connecting to another at the thimble. Here's a yurt I helped setup years ago.
Thanks for the response begreen, and apologies for my delay. I added another section of external pipe for chimney, helped a little.

Yes, I bought the stove used with it already choked down, with some used pipe. Unfortunately I'm in too deep with the 6" now to move to 8' for the time being.

Thank you for the pictures. That log support looks great, and free! Can I use the 90' I already have and twist it down to a 45, or am I better of buying new? How did it end up pulling with that setup? I see a lot of yurt people setting up there stoves like mine with a 90, but they better stove setups than mine.