Draft Regulator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashkapp

Sep 21, 2023
SW Wisconsin
I have a Jotul F500 that I bought used. I used some graphite spray in the draft lever area because it was seized up and now it moves smoothly … until I shut the door. Then it doesn’t budge. It seems I would like to open the draft before I open the door, but maybe this is how it’s supposed to work?

I did take apart the assembly that covers the draft plate when I sprayed the graphite and everything seems to be OK there.

I’d love some advice- thank you!

It sounds like the control lever is bent up slightly and binding on the bottom of the door.

Would the problem be solved with a new regulator? Are they able to be replaced? It didn’t seem obvious to me how to get at it.

The design was improved.

The design was improved.
Thank you so much for this. I did stick a screwdriver underneath and tapped on the end of it with a hammer and bent it back to an approximate position. It works, but I may spring for this nice updated one.

The design was improved.
Nice I didn't know that. I have a few that could use it

Nice I didn't know that. I have a few that could use it
There was a slew of complaints about 10? years ago which prompted the improved replacement design. Somewheres back then someone posted a side-by-side comparison of the two air control levers in which the difference was pretty obvious.

They are backordered but at least mine is functional until it comes. Thank you!!
Try some other Jotul dealers to see if they have the kit in stock. The Preston Trading Post in CT is a good Jotul dealer.
While waiting for the improved lever, keep the air control slider valve area clean and put some graphite powder on the the slider contact areas to keep it working smoothly.

Ha, found the thread. It has a comparison that shows the new vs old parts. Note that this fix applies to the F400 and F600 too. It may also apply their inserts of this vintage but I am not certain about that.

I just posted a youtube for the F400 draft lever and slider. Looks a bit different but pretty similar. Hope this might help. Here is the thread.