Draft testing device

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
I am having the chimney swept, but I would also like a camera inspection with a video so I can watch. I am also requesting a chimney draft test. I would like one with an instrument no swaggered. What is the name of the instruments and how is the proper test performed. I have an 25 foot interior masnry chimney with 8 x 8 clay flue. I would like to be educated so I know what I am speaking about. Also what is considered a good reading? If there is glazing I would like him to address it right away and use frail (spelling) chains to clean the flue.

Its called an manometer and its read on inches/decimal..of water column pulled. , ammount depends on the stove used as to what the manf. calls for.

Talk more about the chains...I am interested....I was going to have my chiminy swept as well and there is glazing...the sweep said it would be on there forever...(clay lined masonry chiminey as well for me.) never mentioned the chains.

I believe they are called flailing chains. Saw them on a chimney cleaning supply web site and also on youtube if you search for chimney glaze removal. They are a disc with pieces of chain attached. Which then the disc gets attached to a rod then to a drill. As the drill spins the chains hit the sides of the flue and the go up and down with it and keep attaching sections of rods and go farther down the chimney and apparently it strips the glaze off. It does a nice cleaning from the video I saw ! Does not harm the clay flue. If I find link I will post it.

Sorry forgot to ask where and how do the take measurements using the manometer? So I will know when the are performing the test that they are using the correct procedure to get the right results!

kwikrp said:
Sorry forgot to ask where and how do the take measurements using the manometer? So I will know when the are performing the test that they are using the correct procedure to get the right results!

Though it is in fact a manometer, I believe most are called "draft meters" when you look for them. Bacharach makes them, as do some others I don't recall.

You need to access the flue or pipe while the flue/pipe is hot to measure the draft. If you have a stove, you would want to measure through the pipe somewhere near the stove, the mfr would tell you where to measure, and what the best range of results is. A 1/4 inch hole is made in the pipe, to stick the tube on the draft meter through.

I have one for our furnace because we run a barometric damper to stabilize draft. I use a Dwyer inclined manometer. They measure the draft in fractions of an inch with the tube spread out over a broader range. You can get them for around 40.00

http://www.drillspot.com/products/67993/dwyer_mark_ii_25_molded_plastic_u_inclined_manometer#

They are a nice little tool to have. That way you know exactly whats going on with your draft. We found with our large unlined chimney when the fire gets low, the draft can slow to .03" which is very low. Compared to a full fire which pulls .08" or higher which is too much draft pulling more heat up the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.