drafting in a quadra fire 3100 step top

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjsplitter

Aug 22, 2009
breckenridge, MI
I put in a quadra this spring and now using it to heat the house. The wood is seasoned(red oak, ash, and maple) dad heats his house for years. My problem is this when I run this stove I have to have both primary and secondary vents open wide. or it goes out. The manual says 14 to 16 foot chimney. I have 1300 sq. double wide so my chimney is only 12 foot high. three foot over the ridge of the roof. Should I go with another section. It has the O.A.K. supply also. It was done by the store I bought the stove threw. I also pulled a permit and it passed. Please help

I would go with the manual on this one. If it says "14 to 16ft", I would go with 16ft just to be sure.

Yeah that Quad has to pull air a long way through the internal channels so it take a good draft to get it done. The stoves are designed and tested with fifteen foot straight up chimneys.

Thanks guys!! Do you think that quadra is big enough for a whole house heater. It is in the middle of the house and the kitchen and dining room and living room are all in the middle. Just the bedrooms are on the ends. the exterior walls are 6in. built in 1991. The fire box is suppose to be 2 cubic but I can only get three to four pieces in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.