Drafty electric fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a seven year old home that came with a Heat-n-Glo electric fireplace installed on an exterior wall of the living room. Looking at the installation instructions, it seems to plug in to an outlet behind the unit. It features a marble tile surround. Outside, there is a chimney-looking structure that is raised off the ground by a foot or so. The house is built on an insulated crawl space.

Problem: Cold air streams from the bottom vents of the firelplace when it is not in use. When the outside temp dips below freezing, I register temperatures 10 to 15 degrees colder than the ambient room temp. And that is with a down blanket hung by a tension rod in front of the unit and pillows covering the marble hearth.

I had my builder add granite countertops to my kitchen a couple of years ago and mentioned the problem. They took the metal frame off the front and added a little more insulation, but to no real avail.

Is this normal? Am I going to have to pull the unit and add insulation? Is that safe? The bottom of the exterior is finished. I am a single mom with some basic home improvement skills. Any advice would be appreciated.

The install you have is common. Its called a doghouse. They are rarely insulated. If it is raised off the ground I would bet there is little to no insulation on the base or the walls for that matter. I would ask the builder to come do it correctly. Its unexceptable for it to be left that way!

This installation is worse than nothing. For now, you would do well to just cover the entire thing with an insulated blanket and run a local, inexpensive electric space heater if needed. Unless this installation has an insulate envelope it is going to take more heat out of the house than it puts into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.