Drafty flue in my new home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jclark37

Jul 5, 2017
WI
Hello, I'm new to the site but was told that if I had a question that someone here would be able to answer it.
I have a new house (to me) that I just purchased and it has a fireplace. I find it to be very drafty and was wondering if I could install one of the Chimney Balloons that I have read about to stop the draft? The fire place does have gas logs.

Hello, I'm new to the site but was told that if I had a question that someone here would be able to answer it.
I have a new house (to me) that I just purchased and it has a fireplace. I find it to be very drafty and was wondering if I could install one of the Chimney Balloons that I have read about to stop the draft? The fire place does have gas logs.
Generally a gas log set needs the damper to be open a little bit all the time you would have to check the log set to find that out.

So some Gas Log manufacturers will allow Chimney Balloons? and I can find that information on the log set?

I have always thought of a Chimney Balloon as a Damper, meaning they should't be used with Gas logs, but I was only going on an assumption, with no real information.
I found this on the Chimney Balloon Website

"Chimney Balloon with a gas fireplace?
Yes, You can use a Chimney Balloon to fix a draft or replace a broken or leaky flue in a gas fireplace, wood burning fireplace, coal burning fireplace, gas log, wood stove, pot belly stove, fireplace insert, or any other hearth that you can reach into the chimney flue from the inside. If you can see and reach into the chimney from the burning chamber you will have no problem using the Chimney Balloon? However, some states have codes about damper use with vented gas log fireplaces. I would encourage you to see the Fuel code for your state before using any type of damper with your vented gas log fireplace."