Drawing Down a Tarped Wood Pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I've been thinking while doing some restacking that the snowless winter has allowed (getting a tri-axle load next week-hoping to get a start on that before the black flies). So, what's the best way to taking wood off a tarped wood pile (wood on driveway, 4 rows, 24' long, - no pallets). Going down each row, taking it down the same way it was put up, seems most ergonomic, but the tarp goes at an angle, leaving some wood uncovered, and has to be unfastened the entire length of one side. Going from the end would make the tarp neater but there'd be more reaching and stooping, I think.

Any others ruminate on this?

Before I built the shed, I was stacking three rows deep, 25 feet long. I put a bunch of long skinny poles on top of the stacks and could pull the wood out from under them keeping just the crib ends for support.

We did the same as LLigetfa and it worked well. However, I'd really hate going back to tarps. A hard cover works so much better and our old galvanized roofing really works great.

Well, I finished moving the 4+ cords, and did about half from then end of the pile. It wasn't too bad. Mostly have to do a little dancing to avoid getting hit in the shins. I figure use the screwed-on plywood disk method someone talked about nearer next Fall. Now I have the top covered with plastic, held down by splits. The log guy came too; the trees were a little skinnier than last time - not sure if good or bad. He had a soft touch with that grapple crane. Nott sure when I'll be able to do anything with the pile though, and now some bad weather is a-coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.