Drectly replace a wood stove with pellet stove - keeping the chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mavmav

Nov 11, 2009
Ontario
I have a standalone Woodstove and wish to swap it out with Pellet Stove.

The exisiting chimney is a Class A double walled and insulated stainless steel running from the ceiling straight up through the attic.
I'm trying to decide whether to cap it off or continue using it.

Can I use this chimney as is or does it need to be lined or is it a complete no-no?
I’m hoping its a straight forward hookup with just a reducer.

What pipe can I use from the stove to the ceiling?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey MavMav,

I just had a similar job done on my home. My wife and I replaced our wood burning stove with a pellet stove. The pre-existing stainless steel chimney extrudes through the wall and goes about 10 feet past our second storey.

The installers ran a liner inside the chimney and connected it to our new pellet stove.

No problems as of yet!

Where in Ontario are you?

MavMav,

I just removed an old coal stove and replaced it with a pellet stove. Chimney is unlined save for the top several feet. It is a fieldstone fireplace/chimney setup. All I did was buy a chimney liner kit which included 25' of 4" stainless steel flex liner, a cap, cleanout tee, 4" to 3" reducer/adaptor, etc. I installed it myself, a relatively easy job, and it works great.

One word of warning...wear gloves when handling the SS liner...the cut ends are sharp! Don't ask me how I know.

You can get addapters to go from 3"to 6" , or 4" to 6" if your chimney is bigger I don't know if you can get a pellet chimney adapter . I just did this and went with a
totally new chimney because I would have had too many elbows . I was also advised that my vent would work better going straight up . plus my insurance Co . was complaining about the age of my chimney 25Yrs old . I am trying to get my insurance rates down so I did everything to code . It cost me an extra $150worth it to me .
You are going to love your new stove ,having the control is awesome .

Excell said:
You can get addapters to go from 3"to 6" , or 4" to 6" if your chimney is bigger I don't know if you can get a pellet chimney adapter .

Yes, they are available (in DuraVent pipe, anyway). I went from 4" to 8" so I could use my woodstove pipe.

macman said:
Excell said:
You can get addapters to go from 3"to 6" , or 4" to 6" if your chimney is bigger I don't know if you can get a pellet chimney adapter .

Yes, they are available (in DuraVent pipe, anyway). I went from 4" to 8" so I could use my woodstove pipe.

When I did my install I bought a 4" - 8" adapter, but couldn't use it, guess they are designed for going into a metalbestos chimney, I was replacing a woodstove into a masonry chimney. Had a local sheet metal shop fab an adapter for me. Still got the Simpson one, anybody wants it, gimme $40 and shipping it's yours. Cost me more than that, just taking up space, PM me if ya want, might take less, oops, prob'ly catch a slap for talkin' about it here, soory, mods, web

hossthehermit said:
......guess they are designed for going into a metalbestos chimney....

Hoss, there are 2 additional adapters I had to get to make it work. Thanks to Eric at kinsman for getting me set-up with these just when i thought the same as you did, that it wouldn't work.

Thanks Eric!!!!!

Attachments

• Simpson_9455.jpg
    Simpson_9455.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 542
  • Simpson_8674.jpg
    Simpson_8674.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 680
The one the shop made works great, only charged me $35

Wow! We were told when we hooked up our pellet stove in place of the wood stove that we did not need a pipe going to the roof. We have a double lined chimney with 6 flues. Are we supposed to have this? The stove has been working fine and there are no draft problems.

You only need it in some circumstances ,I needed a roof chimney because I have fence on two sides ,a storage building on one and the driveway on the other .
The vent has to be two feet from a fence or building .I had no where to go but up .

Status
Not open for further replies.