Dripping in the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
We have a pretty decent rain event going on, calling for upwards of 4" over the course of the day accompanied by some decent wind. I noticed a pretty solid drip, enough to make me think about putting a bucket inside the stove. It is 8" pipe straight up and I'm assuming that this is just what happens with that much water coming down in a short period of time? I checked the attic and there is nothing around the pipe either below the roof deck or above the ceiling, so appears to be only coming down the middle of the pipe as opposed to a flashing issue. I'd light a fire to take care of the problem but its 60 out.

I take from your post there is no animal screen nor cap on top of your flue?

Standard cap. I'd need a bucket truck to put a bag over it. When the stove moves to its final home, the pipe will come through the ridge and I have built access through the chase adjacent to it.

Attachments

• cannon cap.jpg
    cannon cap.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 201
SolarAndWood said:
Standard cap. I'd need a bucket truck to put a bag over it. When the stove moves to its final home, the pipe will come through the ridge and I have built access through the chase adjacent to it.
or just a bucket + a 1x3x8'?

My neighbors would get a kick out of me out there in the rain trying to get a bucket over the cap. They would probably be equally amused when I had to figure out how to get it off. I popped a cooler in the firebox, good enough for now.

SolarAndWood said:

No brace? Better get it on before the snows start. Do folks also install a cricket in your snowy neck of the woods?

That location is temporary, it will be all inside chase soon enough. The only reason I have gotten away with it is it is in kind of a courtyard protected on all sides. Snow isn't an issue with a 12/12 roof. The flat roof that was there before I put the trusses up was a nightmare.

Attachments

• first set of trusses.jpg
    first set of trusses.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 245
Doesn't matter if it's temporary, I'd still brace it. All you need is a good 60-70 mph wind with a hot fire raging inside to make you worry about the leverage of a tall, unbraced pipe. Why take the chance? Temporary needs to be as safe as permanent.

While I don't disagree, it is positively supported between 14" steel I-beams at the bottom and then between the roof trusses and 3/4" roof deck 10' above that and does not move even in heavy wind. That said, it is going in the chase before the end of the year either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.