Drive Sprocket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass. Wine Guy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2007
Northeastern Massachusetts
After I changed the fuel filter, I got so curious about my Jonsered 535 that I decided to take the bar and chain off to clean the bar and the insides. I doubt this has been done before. Looking at a photo in book I have about saws, it looked to me like the drive sprocket needs replacing. It's a gear type and I can't figure out how to detach it. SInce I'm mechanically challenged I didn't want to force anything. The outermost-rim (where the chain sits) is completely smooth. Can I remove the sprocket myself or should I take it to a shop and hope that they want to work on my saw?

Thank you very much.

Edit: Well, just goes to show how little I know. I saw a YouTube video on changing out a drive on a Husqvarna and the outer rim was smooth, too. I guess this is how it's made. The odd thing was that the Husky sprocket was taken apart and off ,then exposing the three springs arund the round part. On my saw, I see this right away. Is the sprocket drive in mine just designed in reverse?

Ok I was looking at it wrong.. It looks like a outboard like all the Huskies I have seen..

It is the clutch, as it spins the springs stretch and engage the drive sprocket and the chain spins...

Are you wanting to remove this???

You will need a piston stop and remember the treads are in reverse.....A impact gum makes short work of it but I wont use one in case I strip the threads....

Mass. Wine Guy said:
southbound said:
Are you wanting to remove this???

Not especially, but it looks like I need to remove the clutch if I want to get to the sprocket.. Then again, I can see the sprocket and it appears to have normal wear. Maybe I can just leave it for now.

If it ain't causing problems - leave it. You will know when it "Needs" to be changed. Worst thing to happen will be wearing out a chain or sprocket failure. Unless your are in the business and need the production, then I understand. Those sprockets will last a long time, even when they look bad. Just one dudes opinion.

Mass. Wine Guy said:
I appreciate it very much, Inferno. It's the original sprocket that was on when I bought the saw new. Don't some folks say to change the sprocket when you get a new chain?

Yeah, and some people put used motor oil in the oiler :lol:

I wear out many chains before I start worrying about the sprocket. I usually have 4 or more chains in the rotation for my two bar lengths.

If I have followed this correctly - you are still on your first chain with that saw that you have cut with for many years. It doesn't sound like a "high" production saw. I would bet you have a few more years of use on that sprocket. Of course PICTURES will help tell the story.

Mass. Wine Guy said:
Yes, not a high production saw; although I have used it intensively on many big trees. What happens when a sprocket is bad? Does the chain slip?

Yep, thats about it.

Here's a link to a thread about changing out a sprocket. If you look at three photos I posted in the thread on January 21, you'll see pictures of the drum, the tool I made, and the worn sprocket. The photos may help you decide if you want to replace yours (note that the threads are reverse...clockwise to remove).

A lot of folks chimed in on this thread, so it's not just about my particular saw.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/51003/

Status
Not open for further replies.