Drolet 1400 insert right for me?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiner

Aug 22, 2008
Maryland
My house is a 1,600 sf ranch style, single pane windows (soon to be updated, yay tax credit) and 1950's insulation. Fireplace is in the living room (end of house) with exterior granite chimney (6' wide x 12' tall). Open floor plan for living room, dining room and kitchen all vaulted ceilings (about 800 sf). Three bedrooms at the other end of the house with the master bedroom raised about 4' at the end of the hall.

Will the Drolet insert keep the main living space at a decent temp (nothern Maryland)? I have two ceiling fans.

Currently there is a blower in the attic which pulls air from the peak of the vaulted ceiling near the stove and blows it into the bedrooms. I still need to add vents to the bedroom doors to have "cold air return".

I'm looking to supplement the oil baseboard heating I currently have. Obviously reducing its need as much as possible.

Here is a link to the stove and Thanks!

http://www.drolet.ca/product.aspx?CategoId=7&Id=428

It should make a dent in the oil bill. For price comparison in this size maybe look at an Englander 13-NCI too. Home Depot should sell them.

BeGreen said:
It should make a dent in the oil bill. For price comparison in this size maybe look at an Englander 13-NCI too. Home Depot should sell them.

I never see the insert in the stores, only free standing.

Another question, is it important that I insulate the liner? I know my chimney is only 12' high so I am assuming that it's a good idea.

Thanks again

I think you will be really glad if you insulate the liner with that short of a stack. As to the insert being in HD and Lowe's, they don't stock them but the customer service desk in lawn and garden at Lowe's and the one up front at HD have the catalogs and prices. Now finding someone with the skill set to open the catalog and turn the pages is a whole nuther matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.