Drolet 1800 insert vs Osburn 2000 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

turbo-power

Feb 6, 2024
South GA
So I have gotten the mantle clearance issue worked out with these two inserts so now would like to know if there are any operational differences between them or is it just cosmetic.
I have read that the drolet 1800 insert can easily overfire but haven’t seen that with the Osburn 2000 insert. I don’t want to deal with overfiring I have already experienced that with my current Ashley 1820 insert .
I really appreciate any feedback about these or any other inserts of this size that would have good control of the fire.

The 1800 has a vermiculite baffle. Does the Osborn upgrade to c cast? Even if the baffle is different material that should not affect the temps. I’m of the opinion that the cheaper 1800i means more are sold so naturally you will have more people commenting on how they burn. And most complain not say it’s does its job adequately

Reactions: turbo-power
The 1800 has a vermiculite baffle. Does the Osborn upgrade to c cast? Even if the baffle is different material that should not affect the temps. I’m of the opinion that the cheaper 1800i means more are sold so naturally you will have more people commenting on how they burn. And most complain not say it’s does its job adequately
Looking at the parts diagrams for both stoves they appear to share the same part numbers for most components except for the baffle as you mentioned. I like the drolet and it will fit in my fireplace with no problem I just don’t want to make the mistake and get one that is easy to overfire and cause a chimney or house fire. I guess I could install a damper in the appliance connector as I have seen some do to help control draft.
When I spoke to the SBI tech guy he made it sound like the Osburn had more to it than the Drolet. Thanks for any insight as I am still learning.

Looking at the parts diagrams for both stoves they appear to share the same part numbers for most components except for the baffle as you mentioned. I like the drolet and it will fit in my fireplace with no problem I just don’t want to make the mistake and get one that is easy to overfire and cause a chimney or house fire. I guess I could install a damper in the appliance connector as I have seen some do to help control draft.
When I spoke to the SBI tech guy he made it sound like the Osburn had more to it than the Drolet. Thanks for any insight as I am still learning.
I have the 1800i. 23’ of insulated liner and. Needed the damper. Personally I don’t think the Osborn is worth the extra cost. It’s a well made unit quiet enough blower. I don’t like the location of the thermal switch that turns the blower on as it takes too long to turn it on. My air control rod is a bit sticky. I had to file notches on the rod to keep track of position. I shopped for two years. There were better looking units that were more expensive and cat stoves that were more expensive. The price through Costco was right.

How tall is your chimney? That's what matters when it comes to overdrafting.
About 14 ft. I currently have a smooth wall SS liner with insulation wrap and Ashley Hearth 1820 insert. It has gotten hot enough till you can smell something getting Hot not sure if it’s the stove or the liner when this happens the STT will be around 600 and secondaries look like gas burners wide open and red. I have never seen the stove or liner glow but I don’t like that smell it makes . As long as it stays around 550 STT or below all is good no unusual smell.

600 stovetop is not too hot. Most people with a 14ft chimney have the opposite problem, not enough draft. Every time you reach a new high temp your stove is going to give a smell like when it was being broken in.

600 stovetop is not too hot. Most people with a 14ft chimney have the opposite problem, not enough draft. Every time you reach a new high temp your stove is going to give a smell like when it was being broken in.
I have had it two years I figured it would be broke in but it sure seems to make it an uncomfortable feeling.
I still would like to have a stove with a larger fire box to get longer burn times.

The point is that these two will behave the same w.r.t. draft.
And with 14 ft in a warmer climate overdrafting is unlikely as noted above.

Three winters in is say 20 loads per winter each time I gettit hotter than it’s ever been I can smell something. I don’t see any reason for a damper on 14’. I do like my flue gas thermometer/alarm. It responds within second so it’s easy to see if the new setting was too much or too little.

I have a Auber AT 200 ordered to try on my current setup if we have weather cool enough. Where I am in GA it’s already in the high 70’s but we might have a cool snap. Thanks to all for your input.
I have two. Good choice. You have choices where to install the probe. I ordered a flue probe to replace a washer probe that’s tucked between the liner and the the insulation wrap but it’s been like that for two winters. Once you learn the stove where you install isn’t as important.

Will there be a lot of difference in readings between the probe and washer style ?
I have the washer style ordered and had plannned to do just what you said place it between the liner and insulation wrap.

Will there be a lot of difference in readings between the probe and washer style ?
I have the washer style ordered and had plannned to do just what you said place it between the liner and insulation wrap.
Yes there is a difference but… unless you are over drafting (which you won’t be) all you need to know is when it’s too cold and when it’s too hot. I know with the washer that once it’s over 400 I better be turning down if I have good flames. With. The probe I better be turning down once I hit 750 (different stoves BTW). Get a cheap IR thermometer if you don’t have one. Then you can self calibrate stove top and AT200 and your blower. It takes a while. Third winter with my 1800i and I finally have it figured out well enough i trust my air settings based on flames once it’s hot and cruising. Hot reload not so much. Still learning there.

Yes there is a difference but… unless you are over drafting (which you won’t be) all you need to know is when it’s too cold and when it’s too hot. I know with the washer that once it’s over 400 I better be turning down if I have good flames. With. The probe I better be turning down once I hit 750 (different stoves BTW). Get a cheap IR thermometer if you don’t have one. Then you can self calibrate stove top and AT200 and your blower. It takes a while. Third winter with my 1800i and I finally have it figured out well enough i trust my air settings based on flames once it’s hot and cruising. Hot reload not so much. Still learning there.
If I decide to order the probe do you just drill a hole in the appliance connector and stick it in ? Would it stay without screwing it down ?

If I decide to order the probe do you just drill a hole in the appliance connector and stick it in ? Would it stay without screwing it down ?
That’s how I did mine. my adapter already had a hole. No screw

I would just use the surface mount one. It still tells you what you need to know and doesn't need to be removed for cleaning

The Auber temp monitor came in and got it hooked up last night and it was just cool enough to build a fire so I could watch the flue temps . That is awesome, Wish I had one of these before now it’s like watching the pyrometer in my truck.
Also pulled the trigger and ordered a Drolet 1800i while one company had them marked down. Gonna be a spring/ summer project swapping stoves out.
Thanks to everyone for your input and knowledge.

Reactions: EbS-P